In this episode Symon interviews Robert Reynolds (Principal Program Manager Lead) and Walter Oliver (Senior Program Manager) on the Windows Azure Pack (WAP) team, to discuss how WAP can be extended to 3rd party systems. The Windows Azure pack is a collection of Microsoft Azure technologies that run in your datacenter, and integrates with System Center and Windows Server to help provide a self-service portal for managing services such as websites, Virtual Machines, Service Bus, cloud resources, web sites, SQL, and more.
For more information about the Windows Azure Pack, visit: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/windows-azure-pack/default.aspx
The interview with Robert and Oliver begins at [11:30].
- -[11:50] What is the Windows Azure Pack?
- -[12:30] What software do you need to run WAP
- -[13:10] What types of customers are you seeing adopt WAP?
- -[13:45] Why was it designed to look like Microsoft Azure?
- -[14:05] Can customers or organizations of any size take advantage of it?
- -[14:25] Is it extensible, and why would a customer or partner want to extend it?
- -[15:35] How can the interface be customized in WAP?
- -Download the WAP Developers Kit here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn448665.aspx
- -[19:00] How can the identity provider be changed in WAP?
- -[19:55] How do you integrate with existing billing systems and commerce platforms with WAP?
- -[24:45] How can you deploy a virtual machine using WAP?
- -[25:50] What is the difference between a VM and a VM Role?
- -[28:20] How can I customize a VM and offer it as an option in the gallery?
- -[29:30] How do you customize a service resource provider (web sites, databases, etc.)?
- -[37:00] How do you extend WAP using Service Management Automation (SMA)?
- -[42:20] In addition to the other resources you've already mentioned, where can users go to learn more?
- -WAP on MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn448665.aspx
- -WAP Developer Kit Samples: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn479258.aspx
- -WAP on TechNet: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn296435.aspx
- -[00:45] 16 TechEd Exam Prep Sessions available on Demand: http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2014/05/19/now-available-on-demand-exam-prep-sessions-from-teched-na-2014.aspx
- -[02:20] Azure Machine Learning technology now available: http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2014/06/16/microsoft-azure-machine-learning-combines-power-of-comprehensive-machine-learning-with-benefits-of-cloud.aspx
- -[03:55] Several new TechNet Virtual Labs available for System Center 2012 and Window Server Failover Clustering: http://aka.ms/v-labs
- -[05:10] Several new MVA courses released:
- -Microsoft & SAP BI Integration JS: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/microsoft-corporate-bi-and-sap-bi-integration-jump-start
- -O365 Fundamentals: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/office-365-fundamentals
- -Moving to Hybrid Cloud JS: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/moving-to-hybrid-cloud-with-microsoft-azure
- -[08:35] Two new digital events coming up :
- -June 23rd – Brad Anderson and Mark Russinovich talk Hybrid Cloud: https://info.windowsazure.com/May2014HybridCloudSeries-EpisodeTwo_Registration.html
- -June 26th- IT Camps online for Microsoft Virtualization: https://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=1032589236&Culture=en-US&community=0
Connect with the Edge Team: