In this episode Symon interviews Daniel Savage, Principal Program Manager Lead on the System Center Operations Manager team, to discuss the new dashboards and visualizations available in Update Release 2 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2929891). These widgets provide more detailed information about alerts, health, images, classes, SLAs, performance, websites, PowerShell, state, and topology.
For more information about the new widgets, visit http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2014/04/24/new-widgets-and-dashboard.aspx.
The interview with Daniel begins at [09:05]:
- -[09:40] How does Operations Manager analyze and display data?
- -[10:35] What is the difference between a widget and a dashboard?
- -[11:00] Which widgets shipped with the System Center 2012 and 2012 R2 initial release?
- -[11:40] How is Update Release 2 installed to enable the new widgets?
At [12:00] Daniel demos how to create a new dashboard
- -[12:30] Which widgets are new?
- -[13:35] How do you publish a dashboard to a web console?
- -[14:45] What does the 'state' of a system indicate?
- -[15:05] Is it possible to drill down into an alert to provide more information?
- -[15:50] What type of states can the tiles display?
At [16:35] Daniel demos the new topology wizard
- -[17:45] What type of requirements are needed for the SQL Server that supports the Operations Manager database?
- -[18:25] How do you display PowerShell information in a widget?
- At [19:10] Daniel demos how to create a PowerShell Grid widget
- -[19:25] Where does the PowerShell script run and under what security context?
At [21:10] Daniel demos how PowerShell can be used to query Bing and return data
- -[21:45] How extensible is this solution?
- -[22:20] Is it possible to query information from internal applications or websites?
At [23:05] Daniel demos how to create custom widgets in Visual Studio
- -[23:35] What are the best practices to optimize the speed of the visualizations?
- -[25:40] How do the Operations Manager widgets compare to VMware vCenter Operations Manager?
- -[26:30] Where can people go to learn more?
- -[00:35] Microsoft shows its commitment to security with the Microsoft Interflow platform: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/dn750892
- -[01:45] Two new Microsoft Azure datacenters available in US East 2 (Virginia) and US Central (Iowa): http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/regions/#services
- -[02:25] Machine Learning public preview is now available for Microsoft Azure: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/machine-learning
- -[03:40] Several updated Virtual Machine & BizTalk Server images are now available in Microsoft Azure: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/virtual-machines & http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/biztalk-services
- -[04:25] Windows Apportals is now available which allows companies running Windows 8.1 to use customizable productivity widgets: http://www.microsoft.com/enterprise/apportals/default.aspx
- -[05:25] Microsoft acquires InMage to enhance disaster recovery solutions to Microsoft Azure: http://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2014/07/11/microsoft-acquires-inmage-better-business-continuity-with-azure
- -[06:15] Microsoft Azure StorSimple releases the StorSimple 8000 Series storage appliance: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/storsimple/default.aspx
- -[08:00] Microsoft Azure Certified Program is announced providing certification to Azure Virtual Machines: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/gallery/virtual-machines/partner-program
Connect with the Edge Team:
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.