Update on October 28, 2014: During TechEd Europe, System Center Advisor has been rebranded as Microsoft Azure Operational Insights. Learn more here: https://preview.opinsights.azure.com.
In this episode Symon interviews Joseph Chan, a Principal Program Manager Lead on the System Center Operations Manager team, to discuss the new features of System Center Advisor (http://www.SystemCenterAdvisor.com). Advisor sends logs to Azure so that they can be quickly analyzed to provide real-time operational intelligence to rapidly filter actionable information about a datacenter's security, compliance, system updates, antimalware and more through new Intelligence Packs.
The interview with Joseph begins at [08:00]:
- -[08:25] What is System Center Advisor, and what is new in the preview?
- -[09:50] What was included in the original release of Advisor?
- -[10:25] How is the Preview program doing since launching at TechEd?
- -[10:55] How much does this cost?
- -[11:20] How does it integrate with System Center, such as Operations Manager?
- -[12:30] Is Operations Manager the only way to forward machine data to Advisor?
- -[13:25] Is Advisor a part of Microsoft Azure?
- -[14:35] How does Advisor work?
- -[15:00] Where does the Advisor agent "live"?
- -[16:25] How is the data secured and encrypted?
- -[17:05] How long can users store the data in the cloud?
- -[17:45] Is there any type of "on-premises" version of Advisor?
- -[18:15] How easy is it to "turn on" Advisor in an existing Operations Manager environment?
At [18:55] Joseph shows a demo of the Log Management Intelligence Pack.
At [28:00] Joseph demos some advanced filtering options.
At [31:05] Joseph demos the System Update Assessment Intelligence Pack.
At [34:15] Joseph demos the Antimalware Intelligence Pack.
At [35:35] Joseph demos the Security Assurance Intelligence Pack.
At [37:50] Joseph demos the Capacity Planning Intelligence Pack.
- -[41:30] How can someone build their own Intelligence Pack?
- -[43:15] How can everyone submit suggestions, raise issues and feedbacks?
- -[45:25] Where can people go to learn more?
- -Microsoft Virtual Academy for Advisor: https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/system-center-2012-r2-advisor-for-it-pros
- -System Center Advisor homepage: http://www.SystemCenterAdvisor.com
- -[00:15] Rebroadcast on August 14th for the Jump Start for "Migrating Legacy Windows Server to 2012 R2 and Microsoft Azure" with live Q&A: https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/liveevents/migrate-legacy-windows-server-to-2012-r2-and-microsoft-azure
- -[00:45] New MVA Course: Virtualizing & Managing SharePoint with Microsoft Cloud OS: https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/virtualizing-managing-sharepoint-with-microsoft-cloud-os
- -[01:10] New MVA Course: Server & Cloud Enrollment: https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/the-server-and-cloud-enrollment
- -[01:30] Azure Announcements – Azure Portal updates, Zone Redundant Storage, SQL Azure Databases & more: https://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/azure-virtual-machine-machine-learning-iot-event-ingestion-mobile-sql-redis-sdk-improvements
- -[04:55] System Center 2012 SP1 Update Rollup 7 (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2965089) and System Center 2012 R2 Update Rollup 3 (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2965090)
- -[05:45] Windows Azure Pack Update Release 3: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2965416
- -[06:10] New System Center Operations Management Pack for Office 365: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43708
- -[06:10] New System Center Operations Management Pack for Virtual Machine Manager & Hyper-V: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43707
Connect with the Edge Team: