Update on October 28, 2014: During TechEd Europe, System Center Advisor has been rebranded as Microsoft Azure Operational Insights. Learn more here: https://preview.opinsights.azure.com.
In this episode Symon interviews Joseph Chan, a Principal Program Manager Lead on the System Center Operations Manager team, to discuss the new features of System Center Advisor (http://www.SystemCenterAdvisor.com). Advisor sends logs to Azure so that they can be quickly analyzed to provide real-time operational intelligence to rapidly filter actionable information about a datacenter's security, compliance, system updates, antimalware and more through new Intelligence Packs.
The interview with Joseph begins at [08:00]:
- -[08:25] What is System Center Advisor, and what is new in the preview?
- -[09:50] What was included in the original release of Advisor?
- -[10:25] How is the Preview program doing since launching at TechEd?
- -[10:55] How much does this cost?
- -[11:20] How does it integrate with System Center, such as Operations Manager?
- -[12:30] Is Operations Manager the only way to forward machine data to Advisor?
- -[13:25] Is Advisor a part of Microsoft Azure?
- -[14:35] How does Advisor work?
- -[15:00] Where does the Advisor agent "live"?
- -[16:25] How is the data secured and encrypted?
- -[17:05] How long can users store the data in the cloud?
- -[17:45] Is there any type of "on-premises" version of Advisor?
- -[18:15] How easy is it to "turn on" Advisor in an existing Operations Manager environment?
At [18:55] Joseph shows a demo of the Log Management Intelligence Pack.
At [28:00] Joseph demos some advanced filtering options.
At [31:05] Joseph demos the System Update Assessment Intelligence Pack.
At [34:15] Joseph demos the Antimalware Intelligence Pack.
At [35:35] Joseph demos the Security Assurance Intelligence Pack.
At [37:50] Joseph demos the Capacity Planning Intelligence Pack.
- -[41:30] How can someone build their own Intelligence Pack?
- -[43:15] How can everyone submit suggestions, raise issues and feedbacks?
- -[45:25] Where can people go to learn more?
- -Microsoft Virtual Academy for Advisor: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/system-center-2012-r2-advisor-for-it-pros
- -System Center Advisor homepage: http://www.SystemCenterAdvisor.com
- -[00:15] Rebroadcast on August 14th for the Jump Start for "Migrating Legacy Windows Server to 2012 R2 and Microsoft Azure" with live Q&A: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/liveevents/migrate-legacy-windows-server-to-2012-r2-and-microsoft-azure
- -[00:45] New MVA Course: Virtualizing & Managing SharePoint with Microsoft Cloud OS: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/virtualizing-managing-sharepoint-with-microsoft-cloud-os
- -[01:10] New MVA Course: Server & Cloud Enrollment: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/the-server-and-cloud-enrollment
- -[01:30] Azure Announcements – Azure Portal updates, Zone Redundant Storage, SQL Azure Databases & more: https://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/azure-virtual-machine-machine-learning-iot-event-ingestion-mobile-sql-redis-sdk-improvements
- -[04:55] System Center 2012 SP1 Update Rollup 7 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2965089) and System Center 2012 R2 Update Rollup 3 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2965090)
- -[05:45] Windows Azure Pack Update Release 3: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2965416
- -[06:10] New System Center Operations Management Pack for Office 365: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43708
- -[06:10] New System Center Operations Management Pack for Virtual Machine Manager & Hyper-V: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43707
Connect with the Edge Team:
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.