Learn how to get started running Docker on top of Microsoft Azure IaaS and understand some fundamentals of Docker in this demo-heavy interview with Andrew Weiss, ASSC Consultant at Microsoft. After you've got the fundamentals down from this interview you might want to check out the more advanced topic of running Kubernetes on Microsoft Azure for container cluster management.
More specifically at [07:25], we cover:
- What is Docker?
- [09:32] How does Docker relate to anything Microsoft?
- [10:28] Demo: Getting started
- Docker commands, Azure cross-platform CLI
- Getting the Azure image list
- Create the Ubuntu Linux + Docker VM
- [16:34] Recap of what just happened and options on where to deploy containers
- [17:45] Why run your Docker containers on Azure versus locally?
- [19:03] Demo: Provisioning an application on top of Docker (in containers) on Azure
- Show the Docker VM in the new Azure portal
- Opening up endpoints to the Docker VM via Azure xPlat CLI
- Getting information about remote Docker host via Docker commands
- Pulling down mongo image from the Docker repository to the Azure Docker VM
- Pulling down sample web app image from the Docker repository to the Azure Docker VM
- Configuring the Docker container to utilize the new images
- Assign private IP address for the image
- Passing environment variables to and initializing the container
- Opening up the application running in the Docker container on the Azure cloud service
- [28:20] What options might you have to configure the environment after it is initially provisioned?
- [31:45] Where can people go to learn more?
MS Open Tech: Docker support on Microsoft Azure
Microsoft TechNet Blog - PowerShell DSC for Docker and Linux
- MVA Live Event on Open Source Software at Microsoft : September 3-4
- New MVA course: Automating the Cloud with Azure Automation
- New MVA course: Corporate Apps Anywhere Anytime with Azure RemoteApp
- Cloud Ecosystem Poster
- Sysinternal tools updates
- AZ Copy 2.5 update
- Azure PowerShell DSC extension added
Connect with the Edge Team:
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.