In this episode Symon interviews Kenneth Hansen (Principal Program Manager Lead) and Hemant Mahawar (Senior Program Manager) on the PowerShell team to discuss Desired State Configuration (DSC), and how it can be used in the datacenter. DSC is a new management platform in Windows PowerShell that enables deploying and managing configuration data for software services and managing the environment in which these services run.
The interview with Kenneth and Hemant begins at [07:20]:
- Why is compliance important in the modern datacenter?
- Why is automation important in the modern datacenter?
- What exactly is Desired State Configuration?
- What is its relationship to PowerShell?
- What is a DSC resource?
- How does someone install and use DSC?
- What is the difference between 'configuration' and 'environment' data?
- How would a user know if a particular task is a good candidate for DSC?
- The following scenarios were discussed and demoed:
- Discovering the actual configuration state
- Fixing a configuration that has drifted away from the desired state
- Enabling or disabling server roles and features
- Managing registry settings
- Managing files and directories
- Starting, stopping, and managing processes and services
- Managing groups and user accounts
- Managing third party software
- Where can people go to learn more about DSC?
- Resource Kit: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/DSC-Resource-Kit-All-c449312d
- JEA Toolkit Whitepaper: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Just-Enough-Administration-6b5ad370
- PowerShell Team Blog: https://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/
- PowerShell.org's DSC Hub: http://powershell.org/wp/dsc-hub/
- Private Cloud Blog DSC Series: https://blogs.technet.com/b/privatecloud/archive/2014/04/25/desired-state-configuration-blog-series-part-1-learning-about-dsc.aspx
- [00:15] Learn what is new in the Technical Preview for Windows Server: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn765472.aspx
- Download the Technical Preview Evaluation for Windows Server: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-vnext-technical-preview
- Download the Technical Preview Evaluation for System Center: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/dn781241
- [01:05] New Jump Starts on the Microsoft Virtual Academy
- Dev/Test Scenarios in the DevOps World: https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/liveevents/dev-test-scenarios-in-the-devops-world
- Modernizing your Data Center Jump Start: https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/liveevents/modernizing-your-data-center-jump-start
- Using PowerShell for Active Directory: https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/liveevents/using-powershell-for-active-directory
- [03:00] Download the updated Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC) 3.0 for VMware & P2V Migrations: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42497
- [04:10] Docker support with Microsoft Azure & Windows Server:https://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/docker-and-microsoft-integrating-docker-with-windows-server-and-microsoft-azure
- [05:10] GridPro released System Center Service Manager connector for Service Management Automation (SMA) within the Windows Azure Pack (WAP): http://www.gridprosoftware.com/en/products/sma
Connect with the Edge Team: