In this episode Symon interviews Elden Christensen, Principal Program Manager Lead for Failover Clustering, to discuss the latest enhancements in the next version of Windows Server. Failover Clustering provides high-availability and disaster recovery for Hyper-V virtual machines, SQL databases and other roles.
The interview with Elden begins at [04:30]:
- What were the main high-availability design goals for this release?
- How do rolling upgrades work?
- What are the new compute resiliency features?
- How has network resiliency improved?
- What is a node quarantine?
- How has storage resiliency improved?
- How does a DAS cluster work?
- How does storage replication work?
- What is the cloud witness?
- What are the improvements around diagnostics and logging?
- Where can people go to learn more about the next version of clustering?
- Windows Server Technical Preview Evaluation: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-vnext-technical-preview
- TechNet Forum: Windows Server Technical Preview Forum: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=WinServerPreview
- Failover Clustering Team Blog: https://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/
- [00:25] TechEd Europe sessions are now available on demand through Channel 9: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/Europe/2014
- [00:55] New courses are available on the Microsoft Virtual Academy
- Windows Server 2012 R2: Using IP Address Management (IPAM): https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/windows-server-2012-r2-using-ip-address-management-ipam-
- Service Management Automation (SMA) with the Windows Azure Pack: https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/service-management-automation-with-windows-azure-pack
- [01:55] Microsoft Azure releases a new Government Cloud: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/features/gov
- [02:30] Partner News: Parallels releases Windows Azure Pack APS Package enabling service providers to offer Windows Azure services based on their infrastructure by automating billing, provisioning and customer management : http://sp.parallels.com/products/automation/services-and-applications/windows-azure-package
- [03:35] Partner News: Provance Technologies Inc. releases The Suite for System Center Service Manager, a collection of enhancements which provide you with powerful, extended functionality for total management of SCSM, including a self-service portal, analyst web console, IT asset management, analytics, dashboards, data management, and more: http://www.provance.com/products/the-suite-for-microsoft-system-center-scsm/overview
Connect with the Edge Team: