In this episode Symon interviews Claus Joergensen (Principal Program Manager) and Ned Pyle (Senior Program Manager) about replication enhancements coming in the next version of Windows Server. Claus first talks about Shared-Nothing Storage Spaces, which provides storage for a failover cluster using direct-attached storage, rather than a SAN. Next Ned talks about the new Storage Replica feature which provide a native synchronous replication solution for multi-site clusters and disaster recovery.
The interview with Claus about Shared-Nothing Storage Spaces begins at [06:45]:
- What were the main storage design goals for this release?
- How does a scale-out file server work?
- How does DAS-only storage work in a failover cluster?
- How does this solution provide higher-availability for virtual machines?
- Where can people go to learn more about this solution?
- TechEd Europe: Design Scale-Out File Server Clusters in the Next Release of Windows Server: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/Europe/2014/CDP-B325
The interview with Ned about Storage Replica begins at [21:00]:
- What is the difference between Hyper-V Replica (with asynchronous replication) and Storage Replica (with synchronous replication)?
- How does synchronous replication provide higher-availability?
- What type of files or disks can be replicated?
- What are the distance and latency limitations?
- How has storage quality of service (QoS) been enhanced?
- Where can people go to learn more about this feature?
- Storage Team Blog: https://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab
- TechEd Europe: Stretching Failover Clusters and Using Storage Replica for Disaster Recovery in the Next Release of Windows Server: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/Europe/2014/CDP-B352
- Step-by-Step Guide for Storage Replica: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=514902
- [00:25] New Microsoft Virtual Academy Courses Released:
- [02:50] Remote Desktop Connection Manager 2.7 Released (Publicly): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44989
- [03:55] Microsoft Azure Hybrid Connection Manager Released: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42962
- [04:51] Nutanix released new System Center integration solutions for Virtual Machine Manager to manage their storage with a custom SMI-S provider, and a Management Pack for Operations Manager to monitor their platform and virtualized workloads: https://aka.ms/Edge-NutanixSC
Connect with the Edge Team: