At [04:50] Symon Perriman meets with Joseph Chan, a Principal PM Manager on the System Center team, to talk about System Center Advisor and how it now integrates with System Center 2012. Joseph first gives an introduction to Advisor and how people can start using this free cloud service. Then Joseph describes the System Center 2012 SP1 Operations Manager (SCOM) connector that has just been released. Joseph and Symon then discuss the benefits of proactive monitoring with Advisor and how it differs from real-time monitoring with SCOM before Joseph provides the history of Advisor and how it was built using customer support data and best practices.
Continuing on, Joseph explains how Advisor works along with the types of problems that it can detect across the different Microsoft workloads, including Windows Server, Hyper-V, SQL, Exchange, SharePoint, and Lync. At [14:30] Joseph shows a demo of Advisor integration with SCOM, including creating an account, configuring monitoring and the proxy server, discovering managed servers, and reviewing alerts and reports (he also provides guidance for how to resolve the alerts).
For more information, visit the System Center Advisor homepage to sign up for free (https://systemcenteradvisor.com/), check out the SCOM team blog (https://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/) and download the System Center Advisor Connector for SCOM (https://aka.ms/AdvisorForSCOM).
- [00:35] Join the Windows Azure for IT Professionals Jump Start on May 16th: https://aka.ms/AzureJS (this link will redirect you to the recording approximately one week after the event)
- [01:20] Download the System Center 2012 Update Rollup 5 for VMM and SCOM: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2822776
- [01:45] Four new System Center 2012 Operations Manager (SCOM) Management Packs released:
- Windows 8 Client OS: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38434
- Windows Azure Fabric (Preview): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38414
- SQL Server 2012 Parallel Data Warehouse (PDW) Appliance: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38198
- Windows Server 2012 Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34765
- [04:10] The System Center Advisor Connector for SCOM preview has just been released: https://aka.ms/AdvisorForSCOM