At [10:05] Symon Perriman meets with Hector Linares, a Senior Program Manager on the System Center team, to talk about new storage capabilities in the upcoming System Center 2012 R2 Virtual Machine Manager. Hector first gives an overview of the major storage enhancements and how they support the changes coming in Windows Server 2012 R2, including SANs, Storage Spaces, and more. Next Hector talks about how storage management has been streamlined and automated, including deploying and managing Scale Out File Servers which provide VMs with resilient and redundant access to their backend storage, and this is demoed at [15:00]. The team next discusses how storage management has been simplified through the Storage Management API (SM-API) which uses WMI to communicate with a variety of storage arrays from different OEMs. Hector then explains how the Hyper-V Replica and Hyper-V Recovery Manager can be used by VMM to provide orchestrated disaster recovery. At [23:50] Hector then shows how to configure a Shared VHDX file which can be used by multiple VMs in a virtualized guest cluster. Finally, at [26:30], the team demos an Offloaded Data Transfer and how it significantly enhances file copy time between storage arrays.
- [00:20] Windows 8.1 for Enterprise just released: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/business/archive/2013/07/30/windows-8-1-enterprise-preview-now-available.aspx
- [02:30] Check out the upcoming Jump Start on Advanced PowerShell on August 1st (or view the replay on the Microsoft Virtual Academy): http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/liveevents/Adv-PowerShell-Jump-Start
- [03:20] Several new courses for IT Pros were just released to the Microsoft Virtual Academy, including:
- PowerShell Jump Start: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/getting-started-with-powershell-3-0-jump-start
- What's New in System Center 2012 R2 Jump Start: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/what-s-new-in-system-center-2012-r2-jump-start
- System Center 2012 SP1 Extensibility: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/system-center-2012-sp1-extensibility
- Build a Private Cloud with Windows Server & System Center Jump Start: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/build-a-private-cloud-with-windows-server-system-center-jump-start
- Move to Hybrid Cloud with System Center & Windows Azure Jump Start: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/move-to-hybrid-cloud-with-system-center-windows-azure-jump-start
- [06:45] Windows Azure July Updates recently released, including Traffic Manager, AutoScale and Virtual Machines: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2013/07/23/windows-azure-july-updates-sql-database-traffic-manager-autoscale-virtual-machines.aspx
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.