At [07:50] Symon Perriman meets with Prabu Rambadran, a Senior Product Marketing Manager on the System Center team, to talk about new disaster recovery (DR) capabilities in the upcoming release of Windows Server 2012 R2, System Center 2012 R2 and Windows Azure. Prabu first defines DR and how it compares to high-availability, and the requirements for having multiple datacenters. Next he gives an overview of the Hyper-V Replica technology which was first introduced in Windows Server 2012, then how it has been enhanced in the R2 release. Prabu then describes the new Hyper-V Recovery Manager (HVRM) and how it integrates with Windows Server, System Center and Windows Azure. Next Prabu discusses how to configure the Hyper-V Recovery Manager through the Azure portal while covering the key scenarios of orchestrating disaster recovery when the primary datacenter is unavailable. The team then reviews how HVRM works and the scope of its replication capabilities. At [19:00] Prabu shows a demo of the Azure dashboard, how to configure HVRM to manage the primary and secondary datacenters, how to groups VMs and create startup dependencies, and the VMs' metadata that is provided by Virtual Machine Manager. Finally Prabu shows a demo of an unplanned failover at [24:00]. For more information visit the Hyper-V Recovery Manager homepage (http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/services/recovery-manager/) and the Cloud-integrated Disaster Recovery blog post from the In the Cloud blog (http://blogs.technet.com/b/in_the_cloud/archive/2013/08/14/what-s-new-in-2012-r2-cloud-integrated-disaster-recovery.aspx).
- [00:40] Check out TechEd Australia Live this week! View the live stream and recordings on Channel 9: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/Australia/2013
- [01:40] Microsoft announces that it has acquired Nokia's Devices and Services business: http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2013/09/02/the-next-chapter-an-open-letter-from-steve-ballmer-and-stephen-elop.aspx
- [02:30] Download the free eBook for Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_press/archive/2013/08/01/free-ebook-introducing-windows-server-2012-r2-preview-release.aspx
- [03:00] Windows 8.1 has reached RTM! http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/08/27/readying-windows-8-1-for-release.aspx
- [04:25] Three new courses have been released on the http://www.MicrosoftVirtualAcademy.com training site:
- What's New in Windows Server 2012 R2 Jump Start: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/what-s-new-in-windows-server-2012-r2-jump-start
- Advanced Tools & Scripting with PowerShell: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/advanced-tools-scripting-with-powershell-3-0-jump-start
- Utilizing SysInternal Tools for IT Pros: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/utilizing-sysinternals-tools-for-it-pros
- [06:05] Attend the upcoming MVA Jump Start on September 13th, Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/liveevents/querying-microsoft-sql-server-2012-jump-start
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.