At [09:00] Symon Perriman meets with Matt McSpirit, a Senior Product Marketing Manager on the System Center & Windows Server team, to talk about how enterprise applications (SQL, Exchange, SharePoint, Oracle, SAP, etc.) have been optimized to work with Hyper-V. First Matt gives a quick overview of new Hyper-V features in Windows Server 2012 R2, including storage, networking and live migration enhancements. Next Matt talks about improvements to the workloads running within the VMs, then Symon discusses how engineering teams at Microsoft are required to meet certain performance and testing requirements to ship any product, which helps ensure that Microsoft applications work best on Hyper-V. Matt spends some time talking about 3rd party application support, and how SAP set a performance record on Hyper-V. The team discusses some best practices for the key workloads and references resources for both internal best practices as well as external testing results. Matt then talks about how System Center 2012 further enhances virtualized workload management, and at [22:15] Matt shows a demo of deploying a virtualized web server and SQL server template using Virtual Machine Manager (VMM). For more information, check out http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/datacenter/virtualization-enterprise-applications.aspx and be sure to expand the tabs to see best practices and performance testing for SQL Server 2012, Exchange 2013, SharePoint 2013, Dynamics CRM, SAP and more.
- [00:40] RTM bits have been made publically available for Windows 8.1: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/09/09/download-windows-8-1-rtm-visual-studio-2013-rc-and-windows-server-2012-r2-rtm-today.aspx
- [01:00] RTM bits have been made publically available for Windows Server 2012 R2: http://blogs.technet.com/b/in_the_cloud/archive/2013/09/09/ready-now-for-tns-amp-msdn-download-windows-server-2012-r2.aspx
- [01:10] Release Candidate bits have been made available for Visual Studio 2013: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/somasegar/archive/2013/09/09/announcing-the-visual-studio-2013-release-candidate.aspx
- [01:25] The Windows Assessment & Deployment Toolkit is now available for Windows 8.1: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982
- [02:55] Several new features for Windows Azure have been released, including the dedicate cache service, auto-scale service, and logging enhancements: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2013/09/03/windows-azure-new-distributed-dedicated-high-performance-cache-service-more-cool-improvements.aspx
- [05:45] Learn about the new Windows Azure AD and Office 365 integration for single sign-on: http://blogs.technet.com/b/ad/archive/2013/09/10/empower-your-office-365-subscription-identity-management-with-application-access-enhancements-for-windows-azure-ad.aspx
- [06:40] Office 365 will allow non-profits and NGOs to accept donations of the cloud service: http://www.microsoft.com/about/corporatecitizenship/en-us/office365-for-nonprofits/
- [07:30] Hyper-V coming to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials! http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2013/09/03/understanding-licensing-for-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-and-the-windows-server-essentials-experience-role.aspx
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.