At [05:45] Symon Perriman, Senior Technical Evangelist for System Center, demos the lifecycle of configuring and using System Center Advisor in its standalone mode, which is free and has no dependency on any other System Center component. First Symon explains how Advisor works to find best practices for Windows Server, Hyper-V, SQL, Exchange, SharePoint, Lync and Virtual Machine Manager, then he provides an overview of his lab. Next he signs up for the free service at www.SystemCenterAdvisor.com, and discusses the planning considerations for deploying the agents. At [12:00] Symon sets up the gateway server by downloading the certificates and configuring the connection to the Microsoft cloud service through the Advisor Setup Wizard. Next at [17:10] Symon copies the certificates to a file share accessible by the other servers, then installs the agent remotely to all these servers so that they can collect data and send it to the gateway server.
Symon returns to the Advisor website about a week later to view Advisor's best practices and recommendations. At [19:50] he describes the data that is reported, including the Overview, Alerts, Configuration, Change History, Server and Administration options. Next Symon reviews the weekly email summary and notes that there are 125 alerts across the dozen hosts in this lab. Symon them starts to analyze these issues at [24:25] to understand how to resolve them to ensure that best practices are being followed throughout the datacenter. For more training on System Center Advisor, check out the Microsoft Virtual Academy course: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/system-center-advisor.
- [00:45] Rick discusses highlights from TechEd Australia and TechEd New Zealand.
- TechEd Australia Sessions: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/Australia/2013
- TechEd New Zealand Sessions: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NewZealand/2013
- [03:00] Internet Explorer 11 is now available on Windows 7: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2013/09/18/ie11-release-preview-for-windows-7-30-faster-than-other-browsers-and-even-more-support-for-web-standards.aspx
- [03:35] Sign up for the Windows Server 2012 R2 Storage Jump Start on September 24th: http://aka.ms/StorageJS
- [04:35] System Center Advisor can now use organizational accounts in Windows Azure Active Directory for login and management: http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2013/09/05/system-center-advisor-now-supports-windows-azure-active-directory-formerly-orgid.aspx
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.