One of the really exciting things about Windows Phone development is how enormously flexible it is. With Windows Phone 8, in addition to supporting native (C++) and managed (C#) development, the platform is the perfect place to develop apps using HTML5.
Jeff Burtoft, an HTML5 technical evangelist with Microsoft, joins us this week to talk about the flexibility and cross-platform power of HTML5 in the context of Windows Phone. The in-depth example that we cover in the video is a project called YetiBowl, and standards compliant HTML5 game that runs flawlessly on the web, as a Windows 8 app and as a Windows Phone 8 app.
Make sure you check out Jeff's 4 part series on creating the HTML5 Yeti game you see in this episode.
What makes all this possible is Internet Explorer 10 on Windows Phone 8. IE10 for the phone and the PC are built on the same engine and use the same renderer which means that what you see on your desktop (or tablet) is what you'll see on your phone. Additionally, the web browser control in Windows Phone apps is a full instance of IE10, with the same speed and power as the native phone browser.
There are lots of great libraries and products that make developing for Windows Phone 8 in HTML5 a blast.
- PhoneGap - PhoneGap is for building cross-platform apps using HTML5. They support Windows Phone 8 with a great Visual Studio template to get started in no time. And don't miss our PhoneGap porting challenge with great opportunities prizes available for PhoneGap developers.
- Atari Arcade - Great HTML5 games that re-imagine the some of the classic Atari games. Get the source code and get coding!
- Internet Explorer Test Drive - great examples of what is possible using IE 10.
- CreateJS - A great library for building rich experiences in HTML5 that work beautifully on Windows Phone.
- ProcessingJS for Windows and Windows Phone - The ProcessingJS library uses HTML5 canvas to create digital art, simple games and visualizations. We have a full curriculum on creative coding including sample projects and full-featured apps.
- Construct 2 - HTML5 based game creator focused on building beautiful 2D HTML5 games. Support for both Windows Phone 8 and Windows Store apps.
- YoYo GameMaker - Cross-platform HTML5 game development with support for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.