The most compelling mobile applications take advantage of notification services in order to dynamically update based on external criteria. On Windows Phone, Live Tiles are perhaps one of the most distinct features that drive app adoption, so its critical to understand these how these services work, and how you can use them to drive these dynamic experiences.
Thomas took time from his extremely busy schedule to walk through some of the most exciting new aspects of the Windows Notification Platform that were announced at Build this month, and demonstrate some of the newly supported developer scenarios.
Here are some links to relevant related material touched on in the conversation:
- Thomas's full session from Build 2014 on the Windows Notification Platform
- Get Windows Phone 8.1 for Windows Phone developers, using the Windows Phone Preview Program for Developers
- Thomas's samples from Build (1) WNS Notifications for universal apps and (2) WNS Website for Windows Azure
- Using WNS in the official Windows developer documentation
- Managing Action Center in the official Windows developer documentation
- The long awaited Project My Screen app for Windows Phone 8.1
Additionally: if you are currently working on an app for Windows, make sure and check out our //Publish events coming up in May, to over 60 cities world wide. These are sort of like hackathons, however, you bring your in-progress code, and windows development experts are on hand to help you polish your app and get it as good as possible for publication. For those who submit their apps for publication and register by June 1st, there are opportunities to win all sorts of cool prizes. Check out all the details at http://publishwindows.com!
Let us know if you have any feedback!
Larry Lieberman @larryalieberman
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.