Entries:
Comments:
Posts:

Loading User Information from Channel 9

Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9

Latest Achievement:

Loading User Information from MSDN

Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN

Visual Studio Achievements

Latest Achievement:

Loading Visual Studio Achievements

Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

Channel9 Version 4: 3 Minutes with the dev team

Download

Right click “Save as…”

We're working hard but we'll take three quick minutes to let you know what we're up to.

Enjoy.

Tag:

Follow the Discussion

  • looks more like 0 minutes Smiley
  • it will be very nice to use just one logon for all those pages
  • CharlesCharles Welcome Change
    Ion Todirel wrote:
    looks more like 0 minutes


    Actually, more like 3 minutes, 7 seconds Wink
    C
  • ZippyVZippyV Fired Up
    How much of the project is now complete?
  • RoyalSchrubberRoyal​Schrubber One. How many time travellers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Thank you! Smiley

    Nice to hear there will be ajax implemented. I always thought it should be common feature of all forums years ago. As I am not aware of any other major forum that has done it before, I guess you are among pioneers in this aera, congrats!

    (and sorry for some annoying posts... if you noticed them. It's nice to know C9 team is doing all right Tongue Out.   Anyway keep the good work)
  • Channel 9 team,
     
    Would you share with us how you are getting rid of the ViewState? Is this more like Channel 10 where you render controls through WebServices?

    I recently started working on VirtualPathProvider (VPP) and am trying to get my head around it. I saw the old channel 9 video in which you guys discussed VPP. Can someone tell me if I am on the right path. I am creating a simple blog engine just to figure out VPP. Here's what I have done so far.

    BlogPathProvider.cs extends VirtualPathProvider, in the GetFile method I have a bunch of regular expression patterns that I match against path parameter of the GetFile method. If I find a match I return a new VirtualBlogFile (my custom class) to which I pass the pattern and the screen type (this is figured out based on the pattern that matched).

    VirtualBlogFile.cs extends VirtualFile, in the Open method I identify which screen the user has requested based on the pattern and return a MemoryStream containing the html for that screen.

    The returning of the html is what I am not able to figure out. Do I create a custom control and use control.RenderControl(...)? What was Duncan talking about when he said you can pull aspx and master pages from the database?


    Thanks a lot,
    Vaibhav
  • harumscarumharumscarum out of memory

    Its so dark.


    So what did you do to prepare to be a ScrumMaster? I am hoping to go to the "certification" course in June. I cant dictate to a client how they should develop but the majority of projects I am on are closer to Scrum then they realize.

  • CharlesCharles Welcome Change
    sirhomer wrote:
    Do you have this in any other format? WMV doesn't work so well in Linux.


    In the next version of C9 we will support formats with sturdy codecs that run well on Linux, etc.

    I'd imagine you could find a usable wmv codec for Linux out there today... Come on.

    At any rate, please don't troll video threads. Keep your nonsense in the Coffeehouse.

    Thanks,

    C
  • Erik PorterHuman​Compiler Now with more apps
    RoyalSchrubber wrote:
    Thank you!

    Nice to hear there will be ajax implemented. I always thought it should be common feature of all forums years ago. As I am not aware of any other major forum that has done it before, I guess you are among pioneers in this aera, congrats!

    (and sorry for some annoying posts... if you noticed them. It's nice to know C9 team is doing all right .   Anyway keep the good work)


    on10.net has actually had ajaxified forums for a while now.  That said, we've vastly improved over what's there right now and at the time of construction, ASP.NET AJAX was not ready for big time use (we built it a year ago).  Now that it is, I've switched our entire client infrastructure over to ASP.NET AJAX and it feels good.  It should be rock solid by the time we release the final version.
  • Erik PorterHuman​Compiler Now with more apps
    vaibhavkamath wrote:
     
    Would you share with us how you are getting rid of the ViewState? Is this more like Channel 10 where you render controls through WebServices?


    It's similar to 10 in that most of the work is done through webservices.  10, however, was a completely homegrown solution (because ASP.NET AJAX wasn't ready for use at the time).  We are now using ASP.NET AJAX and it's all done with custom client controls (inheriting from Sys.UI.Control).  This takes away the need for postbacks, and therefore ViewState is not needed.  If you build things using the UpdatePanel control, you still need ViewState because you're still doing postbacks, just not the same kind.  That method is very useful, but we decided to go all out and build everything on the client.

    If you want to learn more, I would suggest subscribing to my blog.  I talk about ASP.NET AJAX and how we use it on C9.

    vaibhavkamath wrote:
    
    I recently started working on VirtualPathProvider (VPP) and am trying to get my head around it. I saw the old channel 9 video in which you guys discussed VPP. Can someone tell me if I am on the right path. I am creating a simple blog engine just to figure out VPP. Here's what I have done so far.

    BlogPathProvider.cs extends VirtualPathProvider, in the GetFile method I have a bunch of regular expression patterns that I match against path parameter of the GetFile method. If I find a match I return a new VirtualBlogFile (my custom class) to which I pass the pattern and the screen type (this is figured out based on the pattern that matched).

    VirtualBlogFile.cs extends VirtualFile, in the Open method I identify which screen the user has requested based on the pattern and return a MemoryStream containing the html for that screen.

    The returning of the html is what I am not able to figure out. Do I create a custom control and use control.RenderControl(...)? What was Duncan talking about when he said you can pull aspx and master pages from the database?


    I made a bunch of changes to our VPP setup since that video, so we'll probably do another video on it.  Duncan, would honestly be better to answer your questions, but I can tell you the bulk of our VPP code is in the CreateFile method.  In that method, from database records, we check Regex for matches and from that match, go and find the ASPX for that pattern.  Our ASPXs specify the basics in the <%@ Page %> directive and the database fills in the rest like Title, what base class to pull from, etc.
  • Adam KinneyAdamKinney Agent of Change
    harumscarum wrote:
    

    Its so dark.


    So what did you do to prepare to be a ScrumMaster? I am hoping to go to the "certification" course in June. I cant dictate to a client how they should develop but the majority of projects I am on are closer to Scrum then they realize.



    Yes, more light next time would be nice.  With the weather getting better, perhaps we could do something outside next.

    Regarding Scrum, as with most things this is definitely an on-the-job training exercise.  We've been following very simliar patterns as Scrum, but without a few of the key components, that now that we're offciaily trying to put it in to place we should gain great benefits from.  I really dig the concept from the philosophy stand point of managing complex things such as software development.  As on the job training goes, this is not a storybook case.  Implementing scrum in the middle of our project is like trying to jump on a moving train.

    Lots of other reading done, but my main handbook to get started was Ken Schwaber's Agile Project Managment with Scrum.
  • Duncan MackenzieDuncanma "yeah that's awful close, but that's not why I'm so hard done by"
    vaibhavkamath wrote:
    Channel 9 team,
     

    The returning of the html is what I am not able to figure out. Do I create a custom control and use control.RenderControl(...)? What was Duncan talking about when he said you can pull aspx and master pages from the database?



    I think you're confusion is that you are thinking that you are returning HTML... in reality, you are returning the source of an ASPX page ... which can certainly contain HTML, but it can also contain controls... it includes a @Page directive where you can specify the master page etc...

    You probably should start out by making a page that works similar to how pages are handled here in C9 ... showpost.aspx?id=<number> ... get that working and written to be essentially just a master page and a control.... and then in your VPP just write out the contents of that showpost.aspx page when the user requests one of your blog posts, but change the code just enough so that it can handle getting the post ID from the Context instead of from the Query String... whatever code you use to 'crack' the URL will put the post ID into the Context...
  • ZippyVZippyV Fired Up
    HumanCompiler wrote:
    on10.net has actually had ajaxified forums for a while now.


    On10 is also completely broken. The forums are now totally unreadable, I get an error message every time I open a topic.

    Why don't you register as a new user at 10 and try to post a thread in the forums?

    Will the source code be available?
  • Will other formats in the Sandbox be supported (i.e. .deb package files)? Or does everything have to be zipped up?

    Thanks in advance.

    [A]
  • AngusAngus .
    It is always exciting to see what the Channel 9 Team are working on. Everytime I see the updates I get a lot more eager to see the new version. Tongue Out

    Angus Higgins
  • Thanks Guys,

    That really sounds interesting. That is exactly what I was doing. Thinking in terms of html instead of controls and aspx/master pages. I am going to try it out, but the immediate question that comes to my mind is, if I put the code of my .aspx page in the database and return the contents of the .aspx page through my VPP, how will it get the CodeFile (.aspx.cs) file?

    So to summarize:
    I am going to use regexes to identify which page I need to return, then in the Open method of my virtual file class I am going to add any querystring information into the current HttpContext. Next I am going to fetch the .aspx page from the database or where-ever and simply return it. The aspx engine will automatically take care of the actual rendering / processing of the data.

    Thanks for all the help,
    Vaibhav

  • Got it. The aspx engine automatically goes back to the VPP for the .aspx.cs file as well.

    Thanks,
    Vaibhav
  • Duncan MackenzieDuncanma "yeah that's awful close, but that's not why I'm so hard done by"
    vaibhavkamath wrote:
    Got it. The aspx engine automatically goes back to the VPP for the .aspx.cs file as well.

    Thanks,
    Vaibhav


    In our case, we tend to have all of our code in an actual class library project, with ASPX files that just reference those classes... so the .cs isn't really an issue.

    As you've noticed though, you can certainly make it work...

Remove this comment

Remove this thread

close

Comments Closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums,
or Contact Us and let us know.