Tim Heuer demonstrates how to use the Silverlight Media Framework (SMF) to create a nice media experience akin to what has been demonstrated through the 2010 Winter Olympics and Sunday
Night Football players. He also demonstrates how to encode smooth streaming video using Expression Encoder and play the video using SMF.
Tim also shows how he extended the SMF implementation and created a player to suit his specific needs (including not using DVR, among other features). He cracks the code open and shows how he extended the SMF to add custom features so the video does not start until it has a chance to buffer (about 3 seconds). Tim also added the ability to pass a parameter to the SMF player to indicate if it should automatically load the video or if the video should use smooth streaming.
Lastly, Tim gives us a glimpse into some of the features that the team is looking at adding for SMF v2.
- John's Blog and on Twitter (@john_papa)
- Tim's Blog and on Twitter (@timheuer)
- Silverlight Media Framework
- Tim's source code for his custom SMF extensions
- SMF Session from MIX10
- The SMF team air at the Silverlight 4 Launch (11:30 AM show)
- Silverlight Training Course on Channel 9
Follow us on Twitter @SilverlightTV