Entries:
Comments:
Posts:

Loading User Information from Channel 9

Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9

Latest Achievement:

Loading User Information from MSDN

Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN

Visual Studio Achievements

Latest Achievement:

Loading Visual Studio Achievements

Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

This Week on Channel 9: April 17th Episode

Download

Right click “Save as…”

This Week on Channel 9, Dan and Brian cover:

- Updates to Live Maps and Virtual Earth 3D - including export GPS, new traffic-based directions, importing of 3D models into VE 3D (add a massive 9-guy on campus), MapCruncher for overlays of user-generated information (stadium seats), and more (0 - 2:41)
- .NET 3.5 Training Kit - ASP.NET Dynamic Data, MVC, Silverlight, etc, via Greg Duncan (2:41 - 3:30) 
- Follow up from last week: Firechild in the forums points to a .NET Rocks episode with Jon Goodyear on how to program SMS (3:30 - 5:26)
- Follow up story: Gizmodo has first video of a Surface at an AT&T store showing interactive AT&T coverage map, dynamic device colors, information and even phone comparison. (5:26 - 8:06)
- Symantec releases study showing Microsoft is #1 in fewest days in average response time for security vulnerabilities via Matt Hardman (8:06 - 9:51)
- Dan and Brian's reaction to the internal leaked Vista SP1 video and Microsoft's original response. (via DCMonkey in the forums). (9:51 - 12:28)
- The Channel 9 Dev team releases Developer Diary, a recurring weekly show on what features they're working on (12:28 - 13:18)
- The N+ Dev Team talks about how you build an Xbox Live Arcade game and how you program against lag (13:18 - 14:50)
- Dan's Pick of the Week: 15-year old Ashish Dergawan's Coding4Fun article on how to convert a laser pointer into a mouse by using a motion tracking web camera (14:50 - 16:30)
- Brian's Pick of the Week: IIS Pack for bit-rate throttling of Web Videos via Vishal Sood (16:30 - end)

 Note: there were some issues with stale frames when a static image is shown in the video. We'll try re-posting an updated version, but just wanted to get this one up now.

Tags:

Follow the Discussion

  • BasBas It finds lightbulbs.
    Nice episode as always, guys.

    I know the dev team is probably swamped with work, but I still have a feature request for the video player that would be especially handy for TWOC9 episodes...

    Thing is, I love the fact that you guys mention the various topics discussed in the video and list the times, but skipping to them is a bit awkward. When you drag the progress..slider..thing on the player, the timer freezes, and doesn't get updated until you release. So you have to sort of guess where, for instance, 5:26 is on the time bar, drop the slider there, see where you ended up, and then adjust until you're at the right spot.

    One 'simple' way of fixing this would be to update the timer on the video while you're dragging the slider around, so you can see the exact point where you drop it.

    A cooler way, though, would be supporting chapters. The TED videos have this, for instance. It'd be sweet if all the different topics you mention in the post would be separate chapters, and the next chapter/previous chapter buttons in the player would allow you to skip to them. (I have no idea what those buttons do now, by the way. They seem to just skip two minutes ahead/back?)
  • Mark Wisecarverwisemx Live it
    Yup, cool episode.

    Whys everyone down on the Vista sales team vid?
    I thought it was pretty cool. (Except the ending of course.)
  • The aspect ratio of the video is wrong (unless everyone got slightly wider since last week).
  • Dan FernandezDan
    dentaku wrote:
    The aspect ratio of the video is wrong (unless everyone got slightly wider since last week).


    I had a bunch of problems with Premiere and Movie Maker last night and I couldn't get MM to open the produced AVI file despite the fact that it played fine in WMP. After multiple attempts, I had to end up working through Camtasia (a screen-recording tool) to encode the file and that's where it got borked up as it didn't seem to use the source video's settings.

    I'm hoping this is just a minor blip and I won't have this issue again...
  • Dan FernandezDan
    Bas wrote:
    Nice episode as always, guys.

    I know the dev team is probably swamped with work, but I still have a feature request for the video player that would be especially handy for TWOC9 episodes...

    Thing is, I love the fact that you guys mention the various topics discussed in the video and list the times, but skipping to them is a bit awkward. When you drag the progress..slider..thing on the player, the timer freezes, and doesn't get updated until you release. So you have to sort of guess where, for instance, 5:26 is on the time bar, drop the slider there, see where you ended up, and then adjust until you're at the right spot.

    One 'simple' way of fixing this would be to update the timer on the video while you're dragging the slider around, so you can see the exact point where you drop it.

    A cooler way, though, would be supporting chapters. The TED videos have this, for instance. It'd be sweet if all the different topics you mention in the post would be separate chapters, and the next chapter/previous chapter buttons in the player would allow you to skip to them. (I have no idea what those buttons do now, by the way. They seem to just skip two minutes ahead/back?)


    I agree with you WRT being able to jump around within a video. I personally think this would be good for all videos as a lot of time someone just wants to see the demo or just the whiteboarding, etc.  Viddler.com has a very cool player that JeffSand turned me on to, check out :
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/ijustine/videos/293/

    It's player has a way for *anyone* to tag a timeline and description for something interesting in a video. This would be great for us and for fellow C9'ers to be able to tag parts of a conversation or demo that they found interesting.

  • BasBas It finds lightbulbs.
    Dan wrote:
    Viddler.com has a very cool player that JeffSand turned me on to, check out :
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/ijustine/videos/293/

    It's player has a way for *anyone* to tag a timeline and description for something interesting in a video. This would be great for us and for fellow C9'ers to be able to tag parts of a conversation or demo that they found interesting.


    That's pretty cool, it'd be sort of a variation of the clip recording tool we (used to?) have. Except a bit more useful. It'd be great if you guys could pre-tag them with 'chapters', because as you said, especially in some of the longer videos you sometimes just want to see the demo or whiteboarding to see if whatever the video is about is of interest to you.
  • Dan FernandezDan
    Bas wrote:
    


    That's pretty cool, it'd be sort of a variation of the clip recording tool we (used to?) have. Except a bit more useful. It'd be great if you guys could pre-tag them with 'chapters', because as you said, especially in some of the longer videos you sometimes just want to see the demo or whiteboarding to see if whatever the video is about is of interest to you.


    Definitely agree on pre-tagging, the only other thing I would want is URI-based tagging so that way I can email/IM someone a URL that would start on a specific tag.

Remove this comment

Remove this thread

close

Comments Closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums,
or Contact Us and let us know.