This Week on Channel 9: XNA Community Games Beta, New "Pointing Device," Algorithms and Optimizations, "Desert Island Tools"

Sign in to queue

Description

This Week on Channel 9, Brian and Ed cover:

- Channel 9 v4 beta (0:35)
- Beta of Community Games on Xbox LIVE (2:10)
- Silverlight 2 beta 1 screencasts by Mike Taulty and Mike Ormond (4:35)
- Innovative Pointing Device, "Place to Pee" (5:35)
- Preview of Dynamix AX 2009 (7:28)
- "Desert Island Tools" featuring top tools pics from Ed Kaim, Scott Hanselman, and Clint Rutkas: (9:25)
Ed: (11:40)
1. Script#
2. Firebug
3. Sandcastle
4. Reflector
5. IE 7 Developer Toolbar
Scott: (13:07)
1. ZoomIt
2. FeedDemon
3. del.icio.us
4. Live Mesh
5. Dark Room
More of Scott's favorites here.
Clint: (15:35)
1. ReSharper
2. Ultramon
3. Firebug
4. Synergy
5. Windows Live Writer
More of Clint's favorites here.

- Ed's pick of the week, Russell Hadley: The Route to C++ Code Optimization. (19:20)
- Brian's pick of the week, Mike Swanson's Genetic Session Scheduler and Mladen Jankovic's Genetic Algorithm Library. (22:50)
- Scott showing off his awesome monitor rig (27:00)


- Low res version
- MP4 version

Embed

Download

Download this episode

The Discussion

  • User profile image
    littleguru
    Very nice episode! Way to go... I hope we see more niners on the show.
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier
    Thanks for another great show. I really like this format and each week I look forward to it. The only other show that did that for me recently was Prison Break. The item about the Belgians who created the peeing game was great (awesome jokes BTW, pee-2-pee, streaming video, hillarious). They have been on television over here: they entered their "invention" in the TV contest "De Bedenkers" (The Inventors) where regular (and less regular) people show and promote their inventions. Keep up the good work!
  • User profile image
    Bas
    Gotta love Amsterdam jokes. Smiley

    Good show. I'd like to see more of that video conferencing.
  • User profile image
    Refrax
    what was that video conferencing software?
  • User profile image
    AndyMP
    Would be interested to know what software it was as well.
  • User profile image
    briankel

    Refrax and AndyMP:

    The video conferencing software we used was oovoo - Scott works from a home office in Portland so he has evaluated many different video conferencing packages and has gravitated towards this one. I have to say that after playing with it for just a few calls I already agree with him - it's a really nice interface, seems to be very efficient with bandwidth, and offers some pretty nice capabilities (some of them cost $$ but the basic teleconferencing we did was completely free).

    I'd love to have some Niners on soon using this technology. Email me if you have any proposals for what you'd like to talk about. We film on Thursday afternoons Pacific Standard Time so you would need to be available to film then.

    Brian

  • User profile image
    briankel
    TommyCarlier wrote:
    The only other show that did that for me recently was Prison Break. The item about the Belgians who created the peeing game was great (awesome jokes BTW, pee-2-pee, streaming video, hillarious). They have been on television over here: they entered their "invention" in the TV contest "De Bedenkers" (The Inventors) where regular (and less regular) people show and promote their inventions. Keep up the good work!


    Thanks for the kind words, Tommy! When Dan and I started the show I never dreamed we would be compared to Prison Break. Kind of funny and flattering. Smiley

    The Inventors sounds like a cool show - is there a URL I could check out?

    Brian
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier
    The URL is www.debedenkers.be, but it's in Dutch. It's basically "Idols for inventors": the person with the best invention (that is practical and can be commercialized) wins a money prize and his/her product gets support to be put on the market. Actually, there were multiple people that didn't win but still got contracts with large companies to commercialize their invention.
  • User profile image
    dcharles
    "high on code" i think you just coined a new term there:D

    regarding that 'A place to pee', that's the craziest ideas i've seen in years, how much time does the average person spend in a urinal? plus, don't you need your hands to pee anyway? what would you use to play games?
  • User profile image
    Bas
    dcharles wrote:
    don't you need your hands to pee anyway? what would you use to play games?


    Think about it for a few seconds. Yes, exactly.
  • User profile image
    Refrax
    briankel wrote:
    

    Refrax and AndyMP:

    The video conferencing software we used was oovoo - Scott works from a home office in Portland so he has evaluated many different video conferencing packages and has gravitated towards this one. I have to say that after playing with it for just a few calls I already agree with him - it's a really nice interface, seems to be very efficient with bandwidth, and offers some pretty nice capabilities (some of them cost $$ but the basic teleconferencing we did was completely free).

    I'd love to have some Niners on soon using this technology. Email me if you have any proposals for what you'd like to talk about. We film on Thursday afternoons Pacific Standard Time so you would need to be available to film then.

    Brian



    wow, now that i can take a closer look at it. it looks like a good alternative to ichat. <hint>Microsoft should buy it and add it to Windows</hint>
  • User profile image
    Koogle
    good to see the live video conferencing idea was done, I think it turned out pretty well...also had some of the same favourites myself actually:

    ultramon
    synergy
    firebug

Add Your 2 Cents