Join your guide Cory Fowler as he talks to the product teams in Redmond as well as the web community.
This week Cory goes solo to show you a great tool for working on different projects, or working with large teams, called Vagrant. Vagrant is a tool which helps you create and configure lightweight, reproducible, and portable development environments. Vagrant leverages virtualization technologies such as Virtual Box, VMWare Fusion/Workstation and Hyper-V to stand up development environments which are configured using a Vagrantfile and in some cases a provisioning script which can use Ansible, CFEngine, Chef, Docker, Puppet or Salt.
In addition to the provisioners above the Hyper-V Provider for Windows adds the ability to provision your Windows boxes using Windows Remote Management (WinRM).
- Download Vagrant
- Vagrant Cloud
- Windows Boxes for Vagrant courtesy of Modern.ie
- Modern.ie Virtual Machines
- MS Open Tech: Vagrant Hyper-V Code on Github
- MS Open Tech: Vagrant Azure Code on Github
- Packer.io: Create Vagrant Boxes for Multiple Platforms with on simple Configuration