In this PnP Web Cast we concentrate on the Office 365 Dev PnP Core Component which is designed to increase the productivity of developers when you are developing applications for SharePoint Online or for SharePoint on-premises. It encapsulates numerous complex operations to more streamlined methods and usage, so that developers can more efficiently concentrate on solving business problems. PnP Core component is released as Nuget packageand can be used in provider hosted add-ins or from native windows applications, like with console applications. It's also used by the PnP PowerShell CmdLets, which enables you to take advantage of the Core Component capabilities without the need of using Visual Studio.
There are currently two different versions of the PnP Core Component, one targeted for SharePoint Online and for SharePoint 2013 on-premises. SharePoint 2016 version is coming later 2016. Different versions are released due the differences in supported CSOM operations.
One of the great great capabilities in the PnP Core Component is the AuthenticationManager class, which can be used to get SharePoint ClientContext easily regardless of the used authentication models in SharePoint Online or in SharePoint on-premises. Supported authentication models for your application are following.
- SharePoint Online - With credentials
- SharePoint Online - With web loging
- SharePoint Online - App Only
- SharePoint Online - Azure Active Directory - Native Client
- SharePoint Online - Azure Active Directory - App Only
- SharePoint 2013 / 2016 - With credentials
- SharePoint 2013 / 2016 - ADFS mixed authentication
- SharePoint 2013 / 2016 - App only
In the demo section Bert concentrates on showing how to use different authentication methods when you need to gain access to SharePoint Online.
Presentation used in this web cast is available from http://doc.com/OfficeDevPnP.
See following additional links around the covered topics and for additional documentation around the remote provisioning models.
- PnP Core Component - in Nuget gallery. Notice that there's different version for SharePoint Online and for SharePoint 2013 on-premises
- PnP Core Component - in GitHub
- Authentication Manager in PnP Core
- ADFS usage with PnP Core in on-premises
- Connecting to SharePoint Online from console application with ADAL and PnP Core Component - blog post at MSDN
- PnP Web Cast - Provisioning Engine - also included in the PnP Core Component
- PnP Web Cast - Remove timer job framework - also included in the PnP Core Component
- PnP PowerShell - Usese PnP Core Component and it's capabilities
Using Azure AD with AuthenticationManager (from PnP Partner Pack)
- žAzure Active Directory Application registration, as Office 365 Add-In
- Create the self-signed certificate
- žApp Only certificate configuration in the Azure AD Application
If you have any feedback or comments related on this web cast, please use the Office 365 Developer Patterns and Practices Yammer group to provider your input. Thx for your interest advance.