In this PnP Web Cast we concentrated on Bulk UPA Custom Profile Properties Update API for SharePoint Online, which enables you to update custom profile properties of your end users in batch format. This API will provide you support to synchronize additional APIs to SharePoint Online User Profiles from any system.
You can configure what attributes are being synchronized from on-premises Active Directory to Azure Active Directory, but due numerous reasons, there's no support for modifying mapping between User Profiles in SharePoint Online and Azure Active Directory. This means that if you are interested on exposing or using additional custom profile properties in SharePoint Online, you'll need to get them synchronized there using APIs. Previously this was only possible with one-to-one updates using CSOM, which did not perform that well. Using this batch update API, you can much more efficiently include additional information around your profiles.
Notice. At the time this web cast is released, this capability is ONLY available for first release tenants. Worldwide release cross all tenants is planned to happen during summer 2016.
Presentation covers following topics:
- Explanation of the profile property sync process and what this API solving
- JSON file format for the API
- Managed code and PowerShell implementation samples
- What properties can be updated using this API
Demo section concentrates on showing following topics:
- Demonstration of the User Profile Batch Update API sample from the PnP code gallery
- Walk-through of the import process and how this new API can be used
- Explanation of the logging capabilities in case of exceptions or errors in input files
Presentation used in this web cast is available from http://docs.com/OfficeDevPnP.
See following resources around the covered topics
- User Profile Batch Update API sample from the PnP code gallery
- Introducing Bulk UPA Custom Profile Properties Update API for SharePoint Online - API announcement blog post at dev.office.com with additional details - Includes also separate isolated demo video.
- User Profile Sync - Classic solution on doing this with CSOM. This demonstrated how to automate import operation as Azure WebJob.
Thanks for your interest on the PnP initiative.
If you have any feedback or comments related on this web cast, please use the Office 365 Developer Patterns and Practices Yammer group to provider your input. Thx for your interest advance.