In this PnP Web Cast we concentrate on the different infrastructural options around setting up provider hosted add-in environment for SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2016. This time we do not have specific demo included in the web cast, we rather concentrate on the detailed considerations around the provider hosted add-in model environment. Covered topics are following.
- Considerations for provider hosted add-in hardware requirements
- Different logical network designs with provider hosted environments for on-premises
- Considerations around using either low trust or high trust authentication options in on-premises
Classic farm or full trust code solutions will be also supported by SharePoint 2016, but we strongly recommend moving to SharePoint add-in model based implementations. This has multiple different benefits, like following:
- They are the focus of Office engineering team moving forward
- Greatly reduce the risk of impacting the performance of SharePoint Server farms
- Improve the stability and reduce operational cost of the SharePoint Server farm
- Can scale out the application without scaling out the entire SharePoint Server farm
- Does not require dedicated farms for customizations due to application isolation
- Does not require downtime for SharePoint to deploy updates
- More flexible deployment patterns to improve agility and reduce time to market for the business and end users
- Allows customers/SI's to leverage standard Web Development skills over much harder to obtain SharePoint Development skills that have been traditionally employed
- Will run in both SharePoint Server and SharePoint Online
Presentation used in this web cast is available from http://doc.com/OfficeDevPnP.
See following additional links around the covered topics and for additional documentation around transforming your customization's to SharePoint add-in model.
- Architecture models for SharePoint provider hosted add-ins in on-premises - MSDN blog
- Transform your code - Resources and assets around transformation - dev.office.com
- Transforming your SharePoint customizations to add-in model - Resources - dev.office.com
- Transform SharePoint Customizations to add-in model - Free training package with videos, presentations, demos and hands-on-labs - GitHub.com
- PnP-Transformation - Growing repository around specific transformation tooling from Office Dev PnP initiate - GitHub.com
If you have any feedback or comments related on this web cast, please use the Office 365 Developer Patterns and Practices Yammer group to provider your input. Thx for your interest advance.