Download this episode
Back in June I went to Aachen, Germany to visit the
European Microsoft Innovation Center (EMIC). There I spoke with several of the scientists and engineers working at EMIC. In this video, I interview John Lefor, Director of EMIC, to find out more about what it is they do there.
EMIC is one of the Microsoft facilities dedicated to research and development in Europe. The German lab is unique to Microsoft in its focus on collaborative applied research in Europe. Under the auspices of research and development programs sponsored by the European Commission and the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), EMIC develops technologies that are made available for the next generation of software systems, products, and standards. EMIC contributes knowledge to the European technology community and gains information from European areas of expertise, reinforcing relationships with the European industrial and academic community. EMIC’s researchers work together with more than 100 respected European academic and business partners throughout Europe, including British Telecom, SAP, Siemens, Philips, Hewlett-Packard, the Fraunhofer Society and INRIA among others. EMIC was founded in 2003 and is host to more than 40 scientists and engineers from more than ten different countries.
At the European Microsoft Innovation Center, research is focused in the following areas:
· Enterprise: service level agreements (SLA) and distributed complex event processing (CEP), dynamic service composition and knowledge process support
· Mobility: network awareness and cognitive radio, service-oriented sensor applications, and peer-to-peer
· Home: recommender framework, home service middleware
· Security: security and privacy for service composition, dynamic authorization, and context-aware information rights management
· Software verification: industrially viable methodology and scalable tools
· Embedded systems: embedded runtimes, methods & tools, and distributed embedded systems and services
For more information on EMIC research, projects and partners, visit:
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.