Download this episode
Presented at the Swedish SQL Server User Group meeting January 27th 2010 in Stockholm.
Temp Mashup Demo (Continued from part 1)
- Loading Data
- Simple Pivot
- Mashup with Internet data
- Calc columns and relationships
- DAX Measures
DAX Measure Golden Rules
- Home Table = Fact Table
- Wherever the column to be aggregated lives
- No naked columns!
- Sum([Quantity]), never just [Quantity]
- Measures themselves are also ok
- Calculations happen against the TABLES
- Ex: Sum of a column in a PowerPivot table
- NOT a sum of PivotTable cells
- NOT a navigation of dimensional space
- Two Phases: Filter, then Aggregate
- During Filter, think “Cell-by-Cell”
- Filters flow from One to Many, NEVER vice versa
Movie Explaining the Golden Rules
Rob Collie’s bio (from http://powerpivotpro.com/): "Excel geek, Business Intelligence professional, all-around data enthusiast, and one of the founding engineers behind PowerPivot, Microsoft’s new self-service BI offering."
Swedish SQL Server User Group: http://www.sqlug.se/
Available formats for this video:
Actual format may change based on video formats available and browser capability.
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.