I don't know about you, but I live and die by code samples. Seeing how something is done, walking the code in the debugger is one of the key ways I learn. Doc's are great and an important resource, but give me code and I'll be a happy camper.
In the past, the best sample king was the Platform SDK, later renamed the Windows SDK. Today, the crown belongs to the All-In-One Code Framework. Begun as a side project, it is now an awesome gold mine of code samples, spanning the entire Windows stack. Oh yeah, the samples are in C#, VB.Net and even some in F# and C++.
What will really blow you mind is that about every six weeks they release an official boat load of new samples. Just check out Code sample update in January, 2011 - Microsoft All-In-One Code Framework from the All-In-One Code Framework blog and you'll see what I mean. And this was just one sample set. In six weeks there will be more, as there were six weeks ago and before that and before that...
- Are you frustrated by the lack of code samples for a certain programming task?
- Have you struggled to quickly get started with a technique?
- Have you ever expected someone to write code samples for you based on your requests for free?
- Is a one-stop code sample library for all Microsoft development technologies attractive to you?
If your answer is YES to any of these questions, the Microsoft All-In-One Code Framework is for you!
The Microsoft All-In-One Code Framework is a free, centralized code sample library provided by the Microsoft Community team. Our goal is to provide typical code samples for all Microsoft development technologies.
Our team listens to developers’ pains in MSDN forums, social media and various developer communities. We write code samples based on developers’ frequently asked programming tasks, and allow developers to download them with a short code sample publishing cycle. Additionally, our team offers a free code sample request service. This service is a proactive way for our developer community to obtain code samples for certain programming tasks directly from Microsoft.
Did you catch those last two sentences? You can now directly request new samples from the team.
To see all that's available (make sure you block off a few hours as you can easily get lost in code joy overload sample browsing fog) check out the All-In-One Code Framework Sample Catalog. Here's a taste of what you'll find there;
Here’s a few more links you might find interesting:
- Request Code Sample from Microsoft All-In-One Code Framework
- All-In-One Code Framework blog, Microsoft All-In-One Code Framework New Samples Updated on 2010-09-06, All-In-One Code Framework KB Articles
- All-In-One Code Framework Makes Developers’ Lives Easier
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.