I don't know about you, but I found it pretty hard to get into the Code Lab sessions at Build 2016. I loved the idea (a "lab" with already setup PC's and development environments, etc.), but life is too short to wait in line an hour+ before the given session.
Luckily all the content, instructions, setup and source is all available now in the Microsoft-Build-2016 repo!
One of the Labs I wanted to go to what the Intro to ASP.NET Core, so let's check out CodeLabs-WebDev...
ASP.NET Core 1.0 is a new open-source and cross-platform framework for building modern cloud-based Web applications using .NET. It was built from the ground up to provide an optimized development framework for apps that are either deployed to the cloud or run on-premises. It consists of modular components with minimal overhead, so you retain flexibility while constructing your solutions. You can develop and run your ASP.NET Core 1.0 applications cross-platform on Windows, Mac and Linux.
ASP.NET Core 1.0 is built with the needs of modern Web applications in mind, including a unified story for building Web UI and Web APIs that integrate with today’s modern client-side frameworks and development workflows. It's also built to be cloud-ready by introducing environment-based configuration and by providing built-in dependency injection support.
This module demonstrates how to create a simple ASP.NET Core 1.0 project using Visual Studio 2015 in Windows, as well as a simple web application using Yeoman and Visual Studio Code in Ubuntu.
In this module, you will:
- Create a Web site based on the ASP.NET Core 1.0 template
- Walk through and understand the main components of an ASP.NET Core 1.0 application
- Scaffold the required components to create a CRUD ASP.NET Core 1.0 application
- Create a unit test project
- Create and run an ASP.NET Core 1.0 application in Ubuntu
The following is required to complete this module:
Note: You can take advantage of the Visual Studio Dev Essentials subscription in order to get everything you need to build and deploy your app on any platform
This module includes the following exercises:
- Creating a new web site with Visual Studio 2015
- Working with Data
- Unit testing your apps
- Cross-platform development
Estimated time to complete this module: 60 minutes
By completing this module, you should have:
- Created a Web site based on the ASP.NET Core 1.0 template
- Identified the main components of an ASP.NET Core 1.0 application
- Worked with data in an ASP.NET Core 1.0 application
- Created a unit test project
- Created and ran a ASP.NET Core 1.0 application in Ubuntu
And that's just ONE of the labs! There should be enough here to keep you busy for a few days at least... :)
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.