Building a Better Visual Studio Start Page...
- Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 6:00AM
- 8 comments
Loading user information from Channel 9
Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9
Loading user information from MSDN
Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN
Loading Visual Studio Achievements
Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements
Did you know you can create your own Visual Studio Start Pages (MSDN)? When that capability first came it, it was all the rage (well, kind of) to create custom start pages.
Now, it seems to be pretty rare, so when I saw this project I knew I had to share it with you all.
This is a VS2013 like start page which replaces the news section by a custom project dashboard.In the project dashboard you can organize your solutions and projects into different groups for fast access.
- right click on the empty area and enable the edit mode
- add new groups using the "Add Group" link on the bottom
- edit the group titles using the inline textbox
- add new solution and project files to the groups using Drag&Drop from Windows Explorer
- adjust the number of group columns you want to have
- use the action buttons to reorder or delete items
- right click on the empty area and disable the edit mode to save your layout
Note: Be sure you create your start page setup with only a single Visual Studio opened. And close the Visual Studio after creating your start page. Otherwise the different Visual Studio instances will overwrite their settings and the start page might get reset.
And of course the source is available... :)
- Install the VSIX Package
- Go to Tools->Options->Environment->Startup and select the BetterStartPage as start page.
It's quick and easy to start using it.
First enable it;
Go to the Start Page;
Right click on the empty pane and click on Edit Mode.
Add a "New Group"
Drag files and/or Solutions from Windows Explorer and drop it on the new Group
Finally, the most important part, exit Edit Mode! Nothing is saved until you exit edit mode...
Now get started! :)