Coding4Fun blog only?
Dan Fernandez has asked the Coding4Fun authors for a little feedback regarding Coding4Fun and now Dan is asking for some reader feedback regarding making Coding4Fun a blog only site. Coding4Fun has a hybrid blog system right now, however the move would make it full out blog such as Engadget or Make.
Advantages of moving to primarily a blog option
- Built-in C4F only search so you can actually find articles
- No formatting weirdness between sites where code looks good on the blog, but crappy on the MSDN site
- No more disappearing articles where old articles can't be found because they are no longer visible through the RSS feed
- Deeper categorization/tags - we can provide a much more thorough list of tags than we do today
- Built-in comments so you can share your thoughts on articles
- Easier to find in search engines
- Less work for authors to publish
- Version resilience - MSDN is moving to an new infrastructure that would tie up our dev resources
- We would still have article redirection in place for previously published articles that would point to the blog
- Printer-friendly articles, assuming we stick to some high-level authoring guidelines
Disadvantages of moving to primarily a blog option
- Less control over the UI Frame - It may not be as "sexy" a UI, although we'll likely be able to get a custom blog skin
- Article URLs would be on https://blogs.msdn.com instead of https://msdn.microsoft.com