One code snippet at a time [and more] with the Code Snippet Studio
- Posted: Jan 11, 2016 at 6:00AM
- 3 comments
Loading user information from Channel 9
Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9
Loading user information from MSDN
Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN
Loading Visual Studio Achievements
Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements
Code snippets are some of the repetitive task greatest Visual Studio time savers you'll ever see. If you have boilerplate code and snips that you use over and over, turning them into a snippet will save your hair and sanity. Sharing them will help everyone on your team and beyond...
Now if only they were easy to create and share?
Alessandro Del Sole thought the same thing and being the dev he is, solved this problem, shared it with us and best of all released the source too!
[Note: Make sure you catch the fact that this makes snippets for Visual Studio AND Visual Studio Code] :)
Code Snippet Studio allows creating, editing, packaging, and sharing IntelliSense code snippets for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio Code. With Code Snippet Studio you can:
- Create, edit, and save code snippets via convenient user interface and through a code editor that supports syntax-highlighting. You can save traditional .snippet files for Visual Studio 2015 and .json files for Visual Studio Code.
- Managing code snippet libraries
- Share your code snippets with other developers by packaging your snippet files into a Visual Studio extensibility installer (.vsix) which allows automating the installation of code snippets onto other machines under the form of a Visual Studio extension. Code Snippet Studio also supports generating .vsix packages that target Visual Studio Code.
- Work with existing .vsix packages by adding digital signatures, extracting package contents, importing existing .vsix files, and even converting old-style .vsi content installers into the .vsix file format
Getting Started Guide [GD: This is a 19 page PDF, best viewed in "raw" mode]
With Code Snippet Studio, you have a fully-functional code editor with syntax highlighting and basic IntelliSense where you can write or paste your snippets and supply the information that is required by the respective schema references. Studio will generate the proper .snippet or .json files for you, depending on the target IDE (Visual Studio or Code). You will then be able to package a number of code snippets into a Visual Studio extension by building .vsix packages that you can share with other developers and that you can even publish to the Visual Studio Gallery! Additional tools are available to work with both .vsix and .vsi installers.
Code Snippet Studio has been built using controls from Syncfusion's Essential Studio for WPF (Community license) and is built upon the DelSole.VSIX library.
Now get to building and sharing your snippets! (And share them with us too :)