Small Basic Gets a Not So Small Update... v1.1
- Posted: Apr 01, 2015 at 6:00AM
My name is Greg and I learned programing using Basic and you know what, I'm damn proud of it! :)
Seems like Basic has always been a favorite whipping boy, yet in my mind, if it helps one person see beyond the keyboard and screen, to help them see that they are not application captives, that they can have the power to create and control, then Basic isn't (Basic). It's a stepping stone into a wider and wonderful world.
[Greg wipes away a tear]
Small Basic has been a favorite of the Coding4Fun blog so hearing that not only does it have a new release on life, but a new v1.1 release too, had to share!
Our recent Small Basic posts;
Starting last year, we began the journey of continuing development on Microsoft Small Basic. It's a new team assembled across Microsoft in a new world of devices and platforms.
As you can imagine, we're taking one step at a time. This is not a large step, but it's an important step. Please join us in trying out Small Basic 1.1, and post your feedback in the comments below!
We now offer two choices for downloading Microsoft Small Basic:
- Small Basic 1.1 - If you're using Windows 7 / Windows Vista or newer operating systems
- Small Basic 1.0 - If you're using Windows XP or prior operating systems
Small Basic 1.1 is upgraded to .NET Framework 4.5, and it includes a fix to the Flickr API bug (1.0-17). It is compatible with Windows 10 Tech Preview, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Vista. If you have Windows XP, you'll need to download Small Basic 1.0. Any extensions built for Small Basic 1.0 will need to be rebuilt on Small Basic 1.1. You have two options to download:
- Direct English Download - After you download and run the MSI file, the other languages are still available through the English installation wizard.
- Download Center Page - You can directly select and download your language from this page. You'll also see more information about what's new.
You can also find the release information in the Microsoft Small Basic 1.1 Release Notes.
What's New in Microsoft Small Basic 1.1
- NET Framework 4.5 - We upgraded to .NET Framework 4.5 from 3.5 SP1. Although this causes some breaking changes (see below), it's necessary in order to build out new objects that take advantage of new devices, operating systems, and capabilities.
- Language Downloads - You can now directly download your language from the Download Center. See the Download Center Page.
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows 10 Tech Preview, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista
- .Net Framework 4.5:
To start the Small Basic Journey, the Small Basic Portal wiki is your first stop. Go forth and create. Let us know how it goes... :)