Today's Web Wednesday project from Shiju Varghese and team is one that brings together a pretty darn big number of different technologies together into a pretty complete "Social" sample reference site.
Here's a list of just some of that tech;
- ASP.NET MVC 5
- EF 6 Code First
- Twitter Bootstrap
Releasing SocialGoal - Reference Web App for ASP.NET MVC 5, EF 6 Code First, AutoMapper, Autofac, TDD and DDD
My team at Marlabs, developed and released a sample reference web app for the Microsoft ASP.NET stack, named “SocialGoal” . SocialGoal is a social networking web app for socializing your goals and strategies with people. People can create goals and can be shared across the network of SocialGoal users. This app is built with ASP.NET MVC 5, EF 6 Code First, AutoMapper, Autofac, Twitter Bootstrap and following Test-Driven Development (TDD) and Domain Driven Design (DDD). The first drop of the application is available on github at https://github.com/MarlabsInc/SocialGoal. A release note is available in the docs folder of the project repository.
SocialGoal is a social networking web app for socializing your goals and strategies with people. The primary objective of the SocialGoal app is to provide a learning app for building real-world web apps with ASP.NET MVC 5 and EF 6 Code First. The application architecture is inspired from EFMVC. SocialGoal is developed by Marlabs.
- ASP.NET MVC 5
- EF 6 Code First
- Twitter Bootstrap
- Domain Driven Design (DDD)
- Test-Driven Development (TDD)
- Repository Pattern & Generic Repository
- Unit of Work
- Dependency Injection
- Web app for Social Networking for soclialize your goals and strategies.
- A reference web app for ASP.NET MVC 5 and EF 6 Code First.
- Improve developer productivity for building web apps on the Microsoft Web stack.
- Reference app for building Test-Driven Development (TDD) and Domain-Driven Design (DDD).
- Mobilize an existing app for solving the mobility challenges.
- Build a full-fledged social networking app with enhanced UI and new features.
- Mobilize the existing app
- Provide an API for Mobility, by using ASP.NET Web API 2.
- Build Mobile Backend as a Service (MBaaS) solution on the Windows Azure for the mobile apps.
From the Doc's
How to build
1. Clone the source code from GitHub and open the solution in Visual Studio 2013.
2. Build the solution. It will automatically restore NuGet and will install NuGet packages.
Note: The source code is excluded NuGet packages in the source control.
SocialGoal is a social networking web app for socializing your goals and strategies with people. People can create goals and can be shared across the network of SocialGoal users. Goals can have start date, end date, metrics and target. People can update their goals and others can see those updates and can comment on each updates. People can support any public goal.
Groups can be created within SocialGoal so that it is very easy to build goals for a team. Group goals can be assigned to any of the group members. Groups can have focus and group goal can be created with a particular focus also.
Features of SocialGoal
User should Register to start using SocialGoal application
Creating Goals –
User can set goals in two types
1) Individual goals
2) Goals for a group in which the user is a member.
Edit & Delete Functionality is provided for each goal.
Updates can be given for users own goal with or without status.
Comment on an Update-
Any user can comment on an update of a public goal created by any user.
Searching & Supporting a Goal-
User can search all the public goals in the search box provided and can support them. The user can follow a goal.
Creating Group & Inviting Users –
User can create a group and can invite others to join the group
Invitation can send in two ways-
1) Can invite an existing user by searching with a user name.
Those invitations will send to user’s my invitation list and from there user can accept the invitation
2) Can invite a new user by sending an email
That invitation will send to the inbox of the recipient’s mailid and from there can join to the social goal and accept the invitation
Once the User accepts the invitation to a group, then goals can be created for that group. He can invite other users and can create a focus for the group.
Creating Focus For a Group-
The group can have a focus and the creation of goals is completely dependent on that focus
Report for a Goal-
User can see the report of a goal based on update date and target date. Report will be generated for updates having status.
User can see the notifications of the goal & group which is public.
User Profile Creation-
User can create a profile and can edit the profile.
Grabbing the latest drop, I had the site up and running very quickly (well mostly, I had to remember to start my SQLExpress service, which I usually have stopped... Gee, no wonder the site couldn't talk to its database... :/ )
There's one initial account, User Name:Admin, Password:123456.
There's a few bugs and missing files, but the site runs and provides a great example of how to use all those different technologies...
Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to send us feedback you can Contact Us.