When I first saw today's project I was afraid it was a copy and rename of another project we recently highlighted. To give the author the benefit of the doubt, I asked... Nope, not a clone, copy or anything! Just great minds thinking alike... :)
Recently I highlighted a Visual Studio Startup Page project that lets you add/remove/group Projects on the page, Building a Better Visual Studio Start Page...
Today, Stefan Over shares another take on this, providing a Start Page that you can easily list, group and organize your commonly used Solutions.
This is a start page based on the default VS2013 one. The 'news' section is replaced by a customizable overview of your solutions.
- Right-click the right part of the new start page and enable the edit mode
- To save the settings, right-click the same part again, and disable the edit mode
- At the bottom, define the amount of columns you want to display
- Add your first group at the bottom
- You can also bulk add solutions in a specific directory
- Enter a new name for the created group
- Click to add a solution, browse for a .sln file and add it
- Customize the solution appearance by editing the controls below it
- Move groups and solutions with the arrow keys.
So how is this different that BetterStartPage?
There's a couple ways, but the best is that I found it easier, a little more intuitive and works well even if you run VS as Admin.
First, once you install it, you have to enable it (which Stefan notes).
Here's my new Test Start Page.
Editing it is just a right-click away
Add a Group via the Settings at the bottom. You can also bulk add Solutions. Nice!
Once you add a Group you all Solutions to it. This is another thing I liked, uses a standard Dialog to select a Solution. No drag and drop worry (or Run As Admin issue)
Finally the directory line is a great touch too. It defaults to the Solution's folder, but you can override it with your own.
If you have a bunch of Solutions, branches and you are are running out of room for pins, or are interested in creating your won VS Start Page, this is a project you will want to check out...