Tiled, your TMX game tile map creating tool
I came across today's project when working on this post, Thinking about building your own Tower Game? Start with TGSK (Tower Game Starter Kit). I thought about mentioning in that post, but felt it needed it's own post.
We highlighted a map/tile editor a couple years ago, Tiding over your level editing and tile rendering needs with help from tIDE, and none recently. And given how often I like to blog about game dev, well it just seemed to make sense to highlight another.
Today's project is by Thorbjørn Lindeijer and while it comes with source, it's not easily compiled in Visual Studio. But hey, there's still source! :)
Tiled is a general purpose tile map editor, built to be flexible and easy to use. In addition to its own map format, Tiled supports read/write plugins for using it with proprietary map formats or formats used by other editors.
- General purpose tile map editor with XML-based map format
- Supports orthogonal and isometric maps
- Custom objects can be placed with pixel precision
- Full undo/redo and copy/paste support
- Add custom properties to tiles, layers, objects or the map
- Automatically reloads tilesets when changed externally
- Resize or offset your tile map later as needed
- Efficient tile editing tools like stamp and fill brushes
- Contributing to Tiled - How to check out Tiled from git, compile it, and send changes back.
- Best Practices - How you can work with Tiled.
- Keyboard Shortcuts - Get to know your way around Tiled.
- Support for TMX maps - A lot of frameworks can already load your tile maps!
- Import from Image - Generating Tiled maps from bitmaps
- Automapping - The Automapping feature explained + links to external explanations of automapping
- Using Commands - Running shell commands and other programs from Tiled
- Using the Terrain Tool - Easily make sure your sand borders your water properly.
- Tiled starters tutorial by Pokefans.net (German)
- Introduction to Tiled Map Editor: A Great, Platform-Agnostic Tool for Making Level Maps
The next time you need to create a map for your game, make sure you check out Tiled!
This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.