Windows 10 IoT Core Starter Kit and Win 10 IoT News
Last week Steve Teixeira shared the latest information and news on Windows 10 IoT core and a very IoT Starter Kit...
Back in early August I was pleased to announce the Windows Insider release of Windows 10 IoT Core, a version of Windows 10 targeted towards small, embedded devices that may or may not have screens, and the response from you has been tremendous. We’ve received a lot of feedback that has helped us shape the next update and I’d like to share some of that detail with you
What we’re doing in this upcoming Windows Insider release can be broadly described as 3 buckets: Responding to your feedback, improving security, and expanding development choices.
With Windows 10 IoT Core being part of the Windows family, it already offers Universal Windows Platform’s (UWP) rich programming model and language support. That said, we have seen a great deal of enthusiasm for using Node.js in IoT projects, so we’re investing to improve the experience for you on IoT Core with a single installer for all Node.js components, support for the Node.js ‘Serial’ and ‘Cylon’ robotics framework libraries, and even a ‘Cylon’ project template for Visual Studio. See our recent blog post on the updates.
Windows 10 IoT Core is available through Windows Insider Program which will also give you access to all the Windows Insider releases of Windows, not just IoT Core, and you’ll be automatically notified when a new release becomes available. You can also go to WindowsOnDevices.com and follow the steps there to get the release.
Windows IoT Core Starter Kit
We’re proud to announce that we are partnering with Adafruit to release a new Starter Kit designed to get you started quickly and easily on your path of learning either electronics or Windows 10 IoT Core and the Raspberry Pi 2. This kit is available now at http://www.adafruit.com/windows10iotpi2 and includes a compatible set of sensors, electronic parts, wires, and cables that have been verified to work with Windows 10 IoT Core. It also has an SD card preloaded with Windows 10 IoT Core meaning you can start right away. The kit comes with getting started instructions and sample code for projects that you can make. For more information head over to WindowsOnDevices.com.
The Microsoft Internet of Things Pack for Raspberry Pi 2 is the best way to get started using Windows 10 and your Raspberry Pi as an IoT enabled device.
A collaboration between Microsoft's IoT division and Adafruit, this pack's the best way to get started using both Windows 10 on your Pi and to start doing some popular projects with the internet of things.
Check out windowsondevices.com for more information on how to set up Windows 10 IoT Core on your Raspberry Pi and download project samples!
This pack does come with a Raspberry Pi 2 Computer! Click here for the version without a Pi.
This pack contains:
- Adafruit Raspberry Pi B+ Case - Smoke Base / Clear Top - We think it's the Single Greatest Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Case Ever - though our Pi Box Plus is also nothing to scoff at.
- Full Size Breadboard - In the past, we've used the half-size breadboard for a lot of Pi projects - but no longer! With 40 pins to break out, you're going to need some space - and that's why we're including a full size breadboard in this pack.
- Premium Male/Male Jumper Wires - 20 x 6" (150mm) - These jumper wires are great for making wire harness or jumpering between headers on PCBs. We include the longer ones so they work well with the full-size breadboard.
- Premium Female/Male 'Extension' Jumper Wires - 20x6" - These jumper wires are handy equivalents of the male/male jumper wires - but with female connectors.
- Miniature WiFi Module - Official Raspberry Pi Edition - The fancy, official, and adorable WiFi Module, made by the Raspberry Pi foundation specifically for use with Raspberry Pi operating systems (and Windows 10).
- 5V 2A Switching Power Supply w/ 6' MicroUSB Cable - The 5V 2A power adapter is the perfect choice for powering your Raspberry Pi B+ with 2 Amps of current output, and an extra long cord.
- Assembled Adafruit BMP280 Temperature & Humidity sensor - The assembled verison of an Adafruit Instant Classic. This breakout board has a powerful BMP280 sensor from Bosh that's good for environmental, temperature, and barometric pressure sensing. This version comes with headers already soldered on.
- Assembled TCS34725 RGB Color Sensor - The assembled version of a longstanding Adafruit classic. This RGB Color Sensor with IR filter and White LED comes fully assembled - with headers already soldered on.
- MCP3008 - 8 Channel 10-Bit ADC With SPI Interface - Easy to use, SPI enabled chip that's perfect for adding 8 channels of 10-bit analog input to your microcontroller or microcomputer project.
- Ethernet Cable - 5 foot long - An ethernet cable.
- 8GB class 10 SD/MicroSD Memory Card w/ Windows 10 -IOT This SD card comes pre-loaded with all the Windows 10 goodies you can handle.
- Electronic components
You can also use this pack with Raspbian Linux & Python, Here's a few Raspbian-based learn guides that are worth checking out to start. While they're for the Model B, they will all apply to the Raspberry Pi Model B+ and the Raspberry Pi 2.
This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.