Kinect 4 Windows V2 & openFrameworks
Today we highlight a recent post from Peter Daukintis who does a great job of walking us through using the Kinect for Windows v2 device and SDK with openFrameworks.
Some recent openFrameworks posts;
- Cinder, openFrameworks, Kinect for Windows v2 and getting started...
- Kids, Kinect, Cinder and some C++ too... Meet the Kinect Common Bridge
- A Bridge not to far... The Kinect Common Bridge get face tracking and voice recognition.
- Kinect Common Bridge v2 Beta now available
I am in the process of reviewing various frameworks for visualising my Kinect windows store apps because prototyping ideas Direct3D is a bit labour intensive. My attention has turned towards Openframeworks. This is the official description:
openFrameworks is an open source C++ toolkit designed to assist the creative process by providing a simple and intuitive framework for experimentation.
The project is designed to be a wrapper around other creative open frameworks; here are some it pulls in:
- OpenGL, GLEW, GLUT, libtess2 and cairo for graphics
- rtAudio, PortAudio, OpenAL and Kiss FFT or FMOD for audio input, output and analysis
- FreeType for fonts
- FreeImage for image saving and loading
- Quicktime, GStreamer and videoInput for video playback and grabbing
- Poco for a variety of utilities
- OpenCV for computer vision
- Assimp for 3D model loading
This sounds ideal for my requirements
WINDOWS STORE APP
Retrieving the source from here https://github.com/MSOpenTech/openFrameworks instead of usual OpenFrameworks source tree helps as MS Open Tech have done the work to create an OF Project generator which supports Windows Store Applications. This includes the conversion from OpenGL to DirectX and retaining the structure of an OF app so existing apps could be just dropped into place. There is a re-built project generator exe located here \msopentechopenframeworks\openFrameworks\projectGenerator\projectGeneratorSimple_winrt.exe
which will generate a Windows Store c++ project with OF set up and ready to go.
Let’s go through the items in this project to gain a better understanding of what happens when the app runs.
Project Information URL: http://peted.azurewebsites.net/openframeworks-kinect-4-windows-v2/
Project Source URL: http://1drv.ms/1vqiSd0.
This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.