Rob helps us migrate our Beta 2 code to work with v1
This wouldn't be a complete "OMG, Kinect for Windows SDK v1 is out" theme week if we didn't cover how to upgrade all your Beta2 projects to v1. Luckily Rob Relyea has us covered with an outstanding code migration series.
If you have, or download, beta 2 based code/project and it doesn't compile, one of your first stops should be this post collection.
Kinect for Windows – Code Migration from Beta2 to v1.0 (C#/VB)
There have been a number of significant changes and improvements in our APIs since Beta2. This set of documents attempts to detail the changes to facilitate code migration from beta 2 to v1.
API Change Details
[these links take you to a seperate post with details]
- Namespace and Assembly Name changes
- Runtime type (Rename to KinectSensor, refactoring)
- ColorImage API changes
- DepthImage API changes
- Skeleton API changes
- Mapping API changes (Skeleton -> Depth, Depth -> Color)
- Audio API changes
- Speech API changes
Adapting to API Changes
In order to adapt to this change, C#/VB developers should:
- Backup code projects (if not using source control, such as TFS)
- Uninstall Beta 2 SDK (including speech runtime 10.x components).
- Install Kinect for Windows SDK v1.
- Migrate code to use v1 APIs and best practices via one of the migration techniques below
- If you need help with the answer, go the Kinect for Windows forums. Search for other similar issues first. If needed, create a new issue. Please prefix the title of the forum post with “Migration issue:”. (for example: “Migration Issue: Runtime.Sensors replacement?”)
- If you figured out the answer, and want to suggest improvements to the details and techniques in these documents, please leave a comment (We generally will respond to that feedback, but won’t show the comments, as it may get unwieldy).
Where to go for help
Code Migration Techniques (C#/VB)
There are three major approaches to migration
1) RECOMMENDED: Use a migration reference assembly to assist with learning about API changes
2) RECOMMENDED: Go back to the examples you may have started from, find the newest versions of those, and transfer your improvements to this new version.
3) NOT RECOMMENDED: Change reference assembly, (recompile -> search for info -> change -> adapt -> repeat)
Project Information URL: http://robrelyea.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/k4w-code-migration-from-beta2-to-v1-0-managed/
This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.