RoomAlive Toolkit & Hacking Augmented Reality with Kinect
- Posted: May 12, 2015 at 6:00AM
- 1 comment
Loading user information from Channel 9
Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9
Loading user information from MSDN
Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN
Loading Visual Studio Achievements
Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements
We've mentioned IllumiRoom and RoomAlive before, but at Build 2015 there was a dedicated session AND the release of the RoomAlive Toolkit too!
IllumiRoom (http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/illumiroom/) demonstrated how projection mapping can enhance entertainment. RoomAlive (http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/roomalive/) prototyped turning any room into an interactive, augmented experience. In this session, Andy Wilson (Microsoft Research) teaches the key concepts behind these projects including:
- Kinect and projector calibration
- Networking multiple Kinect sensors together
- Displaying dynamic AR objects in real-time.
Additionally, all tools and source code used in the session will be released on GitHub to enable you to make use of these techniques in your own projects.
Project Information URL: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/3-87
RoomAlive Toolkit README
The RoomAlive Toolkit calibrates multiple projectors and cameras to enable immersive, dynamic projection mapping experiences such as RoomAlive. It also includes a simple projection mapping sample.
This document has a few things you should know about using the toolkit's projector/camera calibration, and gives a tutorial on how to calibrate one projector and Kinect sensor (AKA 'camera').
- Visual Studio 2013
- Kinect for Windows v2 SDK
The project uses SharpDX and Math.NET Numerics packages. These should be downloaded and installed automatically via NuGet when RoomAlive Toolkit is built.
Tutorial: Calibrating One Camera and One Projector
Calibrating Mutiple Cameras and Multiple Projectors
More Online Resources
- Channel9 pre-recorded talk introducing the RoomAlive Toolkit with Ben Lower and Andy Wilson
- video of 3 camera/3 projector calibration
- The resulting calibration set can be downloaded here. Try opening this in CalibrateEnsemble.exe.
- video of projection mapping sample, showing view dependent rendering of 3D object
- video of projection mapping sample, showing wobble effect
- RoomAlive video
Source Code URL: https://github.com/Kinect/RoomAliveToolkit