There's a new book in town... "Kinect for Windows SDK Programming Guide"
- Posted: Jan 09, 2013 at 6:00AM
- 6,483 views
- 8 comments
Loading user information from Channel 9
Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9
Loading user information from MSDN
Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN
Loading Visual Studio Achievements
Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements
Sometimes to grok something, you just can't beat a good book. If you got a new Kinect for Windows device this holiday season and are looking for a single starting resource, Abhijit's new book might be just the thing you've been waiting for...
I am very happy and pleased to announce the availability of my book “Kinect for Windows SDK Programming Guide”. The purpose of this book is to explain how to develop applications using the Kinect for Windows SDK. If you are a beginner and looking to start developing applications using the Kinect for Windows SDK, and if you want to build motion-sensing , speech-recognizing applications with Kinect, this book is for you. This book uses C# and WPF in the examples, so you need to know the basics of C# and WPF. If you are a student with basic C# programming knowledge and having basic understanding of WPF and interested to learn about Kinect SDK, you can also read this book.
- Building application using Kinect for Windows SDK.
- Covers the Kinect for Windows SDK v1.6
- A practical step-by-step tutorial to make learning easy for a beginner.
- A detailed discussion of all the APIs involved and the explanations of their usage in detail
- Procedures for developing motion-sensing applications and also methods used to enable speech recognition
What you will learn from this book
- Understand the Kinect sensor in terms of a device, different components, and how they work.
- Step by step installation guide of SDK, troubleshooting tips and development environment setup.
- Reading the Kinect device information, monitoring and notifying the sensor status change.
- Automatically adjust the sensor elevation angle
- Understand different approaches of capturing data stream from Kinect sensor.
- Learn the uses of color, depth and IR data and how to leverage them in your applications.
- Use skeleton-tracking for interactive applications and leveraging the applications to gesture-enabled application
- Understand usages of Microphone array and build speech-enabled applications with Speech API
- Develop applications using Multiple Kinects
- Understand how to design cross device application with Kinect
I would like to thanks all of you for your fantastic response on my Kinect Tutorial, Kinect seminars and my other Kinect works, which actually encouraged me to put something more exciting and together in a form of book. Thanks to the Packt publishing for offering me the opportunity to write for them. I couldn’t have written this book without technical help of the many people and the community. Over the past one year, I was fortunate enough to present many seminars and conference on Kinect. This helped me to interact with many developers, students who are really passionate about programming with Kinect. I also met with many professors who have been researching on computer vision and Kinect technology. I had a great time to talk to each an individual; I have learned a lot. Sincere thanks to the complete editing team, and the reviewers (Atul Gupta, Anoop Madhusdanan and Atul Verma) who helped me to identify and fill the gaps and improve the overall content of this book. My friend, Atul Verma, not only did the technical review of this book, he worked with me on creating demos, designing samples and reviewing each of the things that I did for this book. My friend Jebarson helped me a lot on various things while writing. Many thanks to Arka Bhattacharya for doing offline review of the book.