Using the Kinect to model your world with ReconstructMe
Watching the Kinect make the previously impossible for mere mortals easy is one of the best things I like best about curating for the Gallery. Today's project is one such example... With the Kinect, the Kinect for Windows SDK and this free (for non-commercial purposes) download you can quickly and easily "model your world. How awesome is that!
Grab your camera and move around freely – ReconstructMe takes care of modeling your world.
ReconstructMe is an intuitive 3D reconstruction system offering unique features
- Robust 3D real-time reconstruction
- Accurate metric surface reconstruction
- Multiple 3D sensor support
- Cross-vendor 3D hardware support (AMD, NVIDIA and INTEL)
- Offline reconstruction from existing file streams
- Resuming reconstructions at any point in time
- Surface export to common 3D file formats such as
ReconstructMe is free for non-commercial use and is being developed and maintained by enthusiastic software engineers at PROFACTOR GmbH.
The video below demonstrates how ReconstructMe successfully reconstructs an office-chair. The resulting 3D model is then fed into PROFACTOR’s 3D pose localization software to determine the location of the chair in space.
Project Information URL: http://reconstructme.net/
Project Download URL: http://reconstructme.net/downloads/