Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

SCR's open in Notepad

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Yeah, that's it.  My screensavers are opening in Notepad instead of executing when I double-click on a shortcut I made.  No associations for them on file; what could have caused this?

• User profile image
    teis

If you (like me) have a file association that allows you to open all files in Notepad (or a similar text editor), then that association might be the cause of the problem. For some reason not all predefined file types have a default action, and so for those file types Windows will use your newly created Open in Notepad association. The solution is to explicitly set the default action for .SCR files in Tool -> Options -> File types and so on...

• User profile image
    Manip

teis wrote:
    If you (like me) have a file association that allows you to open all files in Notepad

How did you set that up?

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

No such association on file.  Generally I'll just use 'open with' or I'll open NotePad and drag/browse.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

SlackmasterK wrote:
    Yeah, that's it.  My screensavers are opening in Notepad instead of executing when I double-click on a shortcut I made.  No associations for them on file; what could have caused this?

I had this, a few years ago. On NT4, if I remember correctly.

I don't remember what I installed, but something decided that .scr files are the extensions for its SCRipt files, and thus associated them with Notepad.

Not that I mind too much. It might actually be a good thing, since SCRs (being renamed EXEs) are often used to carry viruses. And right-clicking and selecting Test still works.

• User profile image
    CineDOG

For everyone!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.scr]
    @="scrfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile]
    @="Screen Saver"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\config]
    @="C&onfigure"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\config\command]
    @="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\install]
    @="&Install"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\install\command]
    @="rundll32.exe desk.cpl,InstallScreenSaver %l"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\open]
    @="T&est"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\open\command]
    @="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shellex\DropHandler]
    @="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

Worked for me!

Cheers from Hungary!

I found this topic with google search, with these keywords: .scr notepad

Bye!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.