Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Automatic Updates Service not working... I am out of ideas

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

My computer's Automatic Updates Service is not starting with windows and upon trying to manually start it I get the following error message:

"Could not start the Automatic Updates service on Local Computer.

Error 0x8024d007: 0x8024d007"

I have tried registering dlls, reinstalling COM+, replacing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost with a key from a machine where Automatic Updates are working, etcetera. Nothing I have done so far has worked. Any ideas?

By the way, I have no clue how this started because I normally leave updating to Automatic Updates but then yesterday when I went to manually run Windows Update, it did not work. Apparently, you need the Automatic Updates service running for Windows Update to work.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Checked the status of the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (aka BITS)? WU uses it too.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

W3bbo wrote:
    Checked the status of the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (aka BITS)? WU uses it too.

The Background Intelligent Transfer Service is up and running with no apparent problems.

• User profile image
    pacelvi

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    My computer's Automatic Updates Service is not starting with windows and upon trying to manually start it I get the following error message:

I have tried registering dlls, reinstalling COM+, replacing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost with a key from a machine where Automatic Updates are working, etcetera. Nothing I have done so far has worked. Any ideas?

By the way, I have no clue how this started because I normally leave updating to Automatic Updates but then yesterday when I went to manually run Windows Update, it did not work. Apparently, you need the Automatic Updates service running for Windows Update to work.

Are you on Active Directory?  Did Group Policy redirect where Auto-Update looks for tis udpates?

• User profile image
    Manip

You MUST follow these instructions exactly in order otherwise you'll mess up your Windows Update System

1. Close Internet Explorer
    2. Delete the WebSetup folder at C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution
    3. Visit Windows Update, Click "Express"
    4. Check that the WebSetup folder has been restored 
    5. Close Internet Explorer
    6. Stop the Automatic Updates Service  (Do NOT disable it!)
    7. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 (Different on 64 bit Editions)
    8. Locate wuaueng.dll within the i386 folder, copy it
    9. Paste wuaueng.dll to c:\windows\system32\dllcache (Overwrite)
    10. Delete wuaueng.dll within C:\Windows\System32 (Windows will restore it almost instantly, no problem --)
    11. Start the Automatic Updates Service [Again]
    12. Visit the Windows Update site
    13. Download the "Newer Version"
    14. Test it...

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

pacelvi wrote:

Shining Arcanine wrote:My computer's Automatic Updates Service is not starting with windows and upon trying to manually start it I get the following error message:

Are you on Active Directory?  Did Group Policy redirect where Auto-Update looks for tis udpates?

No, I am not on Active Directory. This is a Media Center 2005 Edition PC and the Automatic Update service is not starting.

Manip wrote:
    You MUST follow these instructions exactly in order otherwise you'll mess up your Windows Update System

1. Close Internet Explorer
    2. Delete the WebSetup folder at C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution
    3. Visit Windows Update, Click "Express"
    4. Check that the WebSetup folder has been restored 
    5. Close Internet Explorer
    6. Stop the Automatic Updates Service  (Do NOT disable it!)
    7. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 (Different on 64 bit Editions)
    8. Locate wuaueng.dll within the i386 folder, copy it
    9. Paste wuaueng.dll to c:\windows\system32\dllcache (Overwrite)
    10. Delete wuaueng.dll within C:\Windows\System32 (Windows will restore it almost instantly, no problem --)
    11. Start the Automatic Updates Service [Again]
    12. Visit the Windows Update site
    13. Download the "Newer Version"
    14. Test it...

The Automatic Updates service will not run. When I try to start it manually, it quits giving me that error message I posted earlier every time I start it. The description of the Automatic Updates service says:

"Enables the download and installation of Windows updates. If this service is disabled, this computer will not be able to use the Automatic Updates feature or the Windows Update Web site."

Needless to say, I cannot visit Windows Update to click "Express." I tried anyway but it was to no avail. The only means I have of keeping my PC up to date is by downloading patches individually, which is hardly optimal.

Here is the error Windows Update is giving me:

"
    [Error number: 0x8007041D]
    See which updates failed to install The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

For self-help options:

For assisted support options:

"

Prior to that, it says:

"Get the latest Windows Update software.

We've made improvements to our website. To download the new version of the software and begin using Windows Update, please click Install Now.
    "

• User profile image
    Cider

Try registering the following (in this order):

regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll

regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll

If that still doesn't work, can you post any part of your C:\Windows\Windows Update.log which shows the error?

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Cider wrote:

Try registering the following (in this order):

regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll

If that still doesn't work, can you post any part of your C:\Windows\Windows Update.log which shows the error?

I tried that earlier, I also tried unregistering them first but nothing I do with the dlls fixes the problem. Here is the latest from the WindowsUpdate.log file:

2006-06-11    20:54:02    1108    874    Service    *************
    2006-06-11    20:54:02    1108    874    Service    ** START **  Service: Service startup
    2006-06-11    20:54:02    1108    874    Service    *********
    2006-06-11    20:54:02    1108    874    Setup    Registering binary: C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe  /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\ServiceStartup\wuapi.dll\5.8.0.2469\wuapi.dll"
    2006-06-11    20:54:02    1108    874    Setup    Registering binary: C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe  /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\ServiceStartup\wups.dll\5.8.0.2469\wups.dll"
    2006-06-11    20:54:02    1108    874    Setup    FATAL: Self registration of C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\ServiceStartup\wups.dll\5.8.0.2469\wups.dll failed, error = 0x8024D007
    2006-06-11    20:54:02    1108    874    Setup    FATAL: Failed to register C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\ServiceStartup\wups.dll\5.8.0.2469\wups.dll in cache location: error 0x8024d007
    2006-06-11    20:54:02    1108    874    Setup    FATAL: ProcessDelayedCopies failed: 0x8024d007
    2006-06-11    20:54:02    1108    874    Agent    FATAL: Failed to fix up registration at service startup: 0x8024d007
    2006-06-11    20:54:02    1108    874    Service    *********
    2006-06-11    20:54:02    1108    874    Service    **  END  **  Service: Service exit [Exit code = 0x8024d007]
    2006-06-11    20:54:02    1108    874    Service    *************
    2006-06-11    20:54:32    3208    3a8    Setup    FATAL: Warning: Failed to restart wuauserv service: 0x8007041d
    2006-06-11    20:54:32    3208    3a8    Setup      * WARNING: Exit code = 0x8007041D
    2006-06-11    20:54:32    3208    3a8    Setup    *********
    2006-06-11    20:54:32    3208    3a8    Setup    **  END  **  Setup: Installing client binaries
    2006-06-11    20:54:32    3208    3a8    Setup    *************
    2006-06-11    20:54:32    3208    3a8    Setup    FATAL: InstallUpdatedBinaries failed with error 0x8007041d
    2006-06-11    20:54:32    3208    3a8    WUWeb    FATAL: InstallUpdatedBinaries failed with error:0x8007041d
    2006-06-11    20:54:32    3208    3a8    WUWeb    FATAL: UpdateClientWorker failed: error 0x8007041d

Edit: Before anyone mentions it, I am not running NOD32.

• User profile image
    Cider

I think you've narrowed down the problem to that wups.dll file.

OK, its dangerous and this is officially not advice and is a suggestion and I cannot be held responsible for any damage, physical or otherwise, that may or may not happen to your machine (or whatever lawyers say to mean "don't blame me if this all goes to hell after following my advice").....

...it may fix itself if you try removing the wups.dll file to another location so it tries to go back to source to get that DLL when loading the service.  Remember to copy the wups.dll file somewhere where you can put it back, though.

• User profile image
    Manip

Try "regsvr32 wuapi.dll"

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Manip wrote:
    Try "regsvr32 wuapi.dll"

I have done:

regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll /u
    regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll /u
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /u
    regsvr32 wuapi.dll /u
    regsvr32 wups.dll /u
    regsvr32 wups2.dll /u
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll /u
    regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll

In various ways and methods and none of them worked. I did remember to reregister each of them after unregistering them. I also tried changing permissions, etc.

• User profile image
    cheong

From a cached webpage in Google (the page no longer exist, but still can be found in Google's cache) that you may want to try:

[quote user=Google]
    Ok, I know I'm talking to myself here but maybe it will help someone else in
    the future so here goes...

I didn't get to the root cause, but my system seems to be in working order
    now.

When I first tried going to WindowsUpdate on this Win2K3 system I was
    getting the Time error described in another thread at
    http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&mid=2cdb89ef-21b9-469c-9cff-3252f78c84b6.
    Rather than troubleshooting that error I decided to go to the new Microsoft
    Update site and upgrade to the latest software instead. That's where the fun
    began and I started getting the errors I posted earlier.

From there I tried removing the Program Files\Windows update folder and also
    the Windows\Sftware Distribution\WebSetup and WuReDir folders to no avail.
    The system would still keep re-directing to the MU v6 site and erroring at
    0x8024D007. Looking in the WindowsUpdate.log it appeared to be a problem
    registering wuaueng.dll but I was able to run the same command line manually
    without any problems. From the error it looked to be a possible Registry
    permissions error so I tried REGMON but wasn't able to narrow down any
    specific key with a problem.

***!!! FOLLOW THESE STEPS AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!***

Finally, since this wasn't a production system I just removed all of the
    WU*.* files out of Windows\System32 and then went back to WindowsUpdate and
    it loaded up at v4 rather than re-directing me to the v6 site. Now I was
    back to the Time error from the thread linked above. Following the
    resolution in that thread (turning off the "Check for server certificate
    revocation) I was able to download all of the latest updates for my system
    and in the process the WindowsUpdate engine got successfully upgraded to v6.
    After all of the updates were applied I then went back to the new Microsoft
    Update site and everything is working as you'd expect it to even with the
    "Check for server certificate revocation" turned on.

So there's my fun troubleshooting for the day. Hope it helps someone else
    and don't forget to backup any files before you delete them!

-Jeff
    [/quote]

[quote user=Google]
    I'm telling you what I tried before I finally resolved the issue in case
    this contributes to the resolution. I would recommend trying the following
    and if it doesn't resolve the issue then try the others suggestions and then
    mine again.

Okay it's very very simple. I checked the logs for windows update and it
    seemed to have a problem registering a DLL file in the c:\winnt\system32
    directory. (This may be c:\windows\system32 on WinXP). I loaded up a DOS box,
    (cmd box), and typed regsvr32 and then the dll file. Nothing happened. I
    then typed regsvr32 /? which should bring up the options. Again nothing
    happened. I suspected that the regsvr32.exe file may be corrupted.

I downloaded a file called regsvr32a.exe from here:-

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;267279

This is a self extractable file. I used my prefered method of downloading
    the file into an empty directory. Running the file and then manually copying
    the new regsvr32.exe into my SYSTEM32 directory. I then confirmed that I
    wanted to overwrite the existing version. I then rebooted just to keep
    things clean and hey presto everything worked again.

I hope this is of some help to somebody. I know I've probably done an
    overkill on the details but hopefully this will help people of all levels.

Regards

felixkat
    [/quote]

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Thanks cheong. I got around to deleting all of the wu*.* files from c:\windows today and went to Windows Update. I can now use Windows Update again. Microsoft Update and Automatic Update are working too. Smiley

• User profile image
    zwikas

Hi guy's i have the same problem as Shining Arcanine i want to try the solution that solved it for him but i don't know how to delete the wu*.* files or i don't even know wht the wu*.* files please help!!!!!!!!!!!

• User profile image
    ZippyV

It means: go to C:\Windows\System32 and delete every file that starts with wu

• User profile image
    danielsmith​89

I am having this same problem too and am trying to delete all the wu*.* files, I manage to delete them fine, but they just recreate themselves straight away, do you know how i can stop this?

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    Thanks cheong. I got around to deleting all of the wu*.* files from c:\windows today and went to Windows Update. I can now use Windows Update again. Microsoft Update and Automatic Update are working too.

• User profile image
    Trevize

Try to reboot in safe mode and delete those files. Also delete them from c:\windows\system32\dllcache ! Then reboot in normal mode and go to windows update. I've just repaired a laptop this way. Anyway thanks for this topic guys. Smiley

danielsmith89 wrote:
    I am having this same problem too and am trying to delete all the wu*.* files, I manage to delete them fine, but they just recreate themselves straight away, do you know how i can stop this?

• User profile image
    xyvyx

danielsmith89 said:

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    Thanks cheong. I got around to deleting all of the wu*.* files from c:\windows today and went to Windows Update. I can now use Windows Update again. Microsoft Update and Automatic Update are working too.
    I had the same issue... I'd delete all of the wu*.* files in system32... and they'd pop right back up!.. Still no idea what caused this.  Regardless, I was primarily using the recent windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe to update, or at least attempt it.  This was returning the same errorcode as when visiting the Windows Update website.

My last attempt, I used ProcMon & followed this process.... which itself created another process for RegSvr32... watching THAT, I could see all the files & registry keys it attempted to read/write/create.  I saw 2 failures when it attempted to create keys here:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost

This was mentioned elsewhere, but for me, resetting the permissions (at least, granting local admins full control) on this key solved my problem.  I'd since tried just about every permutaion of registering, unregistering DLLs, stopping & starting the services, etc... 

I'm not sure if it's related, but we started seeing this issue quite a bit after we were affected by conficker.b, so I'm not sure if the worm caused issues, or if it was our cleanup efforts.  Either way, problem finally solved.  I'll test this on other servers & if other actions are required, I'll post 'em!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.