Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista Freecell's statistics

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jmacdonagh

Has anyone else noticed that it's incredibly easy to have a perfect 100% win rate in Vista's Freecell (I'm sure it's just as easy in the other included games). If you lose a game it will give you the option to undo as many moves as you want and try again. The funny thing is, all you have to do is undo all your moves and close the game. The next time you open Freecell you can start a completely new game without it counting as a loss.

Even when you are in a position where you can't win or lose (e.g. the only move you can make is one card back and forth), you can close Freecell, say Yes on save, open it back up, and say No on Load Saved Game. Hitting F2 starts a new game without it counting as a loss.

I love my 35 game winning streak.

• User profile image
    Chadk

jmacdonagh wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed that it's incredibly easy to have a perfect 100% win rate in Vista's Freecell (I'm sure it's just as easy in the other included games). If you lose a game it will give you the option to undo as many moves as you want and try again. The funny thing is, all you have to do is undo all your moves and close the game. The next time you open Freecell you can start a completely new game without it counting as a loss.

Even when you are in a position where you can't win or lose (e.g. the only move you can make is one card back and forth), you can close Freecell, say Yes on save, open it back up, and say No on Load Saved Game. Hitting F2 starts a new game without it counting as a loss.

I love my 35 game winning streak.

Wow, why are you trying stuff like that? Expressionless

Fun tho.

• User profile image
    AndyC

*cough*

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\FreeCell

*cough*

I'm saying nothing...

• User profile image
    jmacdonagh

AndyC wrote:
    *cough*

*cough*

I'm saying nothing...

That's not in Vista anymore. In fact, I scanned the registry and I can't find an easy way to edit the scores. Oh noes!

• User profile image
    LaBomba

toomuchfreetimecell rocks!

• User profile image
    jmacdonagh

LaBomba wrote:
    toomuchfreetimecell rocks!

It's all I can do until I get my new RAM tomorrow Wink

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jmacdonagh wrote:

AndyC wrote: *cough*

*cough*

I'm saying nothing...

That's not in Vista anymore. In fact, I scanned the registry and I can't find an easy way to edit the scores. Oh noes!

Use RegMon/FileMon to see where it stores them. Smiley

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

jmacdonagh wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed that it's incredibly easy to have a perfect 100% win rate in Vista's Freecell (I'm sure it's just as easy in the other included games).

Under XP, you could just kill the process if you reach a dead end. No end-game, no recoded loss.

• User profile image
    clemon79

jmacdonagh wrote:
    I've at least found that...it lives in C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Microsoft Games\FreeCell\FreeCellSettings.xml. Open it with Notepad and scroll down to the bottom. Problem is, they're totally lying when they suggest it's XML, and it seems that editing the values at the bottom isn't the trick, because when I try to do that the game merely resets everything to 0's on next launch. So there's more to it. I'd love to figure it out, if only because I have several thousand games' worth of stats that I would like to migrate over. Is it THAT important to me? No. But now I'm curious and want to know how to make it happen. Smiley

• User profile image
    eddwo

Virtually all games of Freecell are possible, so while you may want to undo back to the beginning there should never be a reason for just giving up.

At the moment I'm at 125 games, with only 3 lost, and a winning streak of about 80.
    The losses were probably when I was too tired to think about what I was doing.

• User profile image
    rhm

Hmm, I couldn't get into freecell. I'm made for Spider sol though. I don't often look at the scores page so I'm a little disturbed that I've won 6819 times and lost 2412. That's a lot of Spider - no wonder my mouse hand hurts Smiley Best winning streak: 16 games.

• User profile image
    mrchief_2000

eddwo wrote:
    Virtually all games of Freecell are possible, ...

yeah? try games # -1, -2

also, in pre-vista, just hit ctrl+shift+F10 and see the fun...
    (not sure if this still works for vista)

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

mrchief_2000 wrote:

eddwo wrote:
    Virtually all games of Freecell are possible, ...

yeah? try games # -1, -2

also, in pre-vista, just hit ctrl+shift+F10 and see the fun...
    (not sure if this still works for vista)

-3 is quite easy though.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

You guys know way too much about Freecell. Wink

• User profile image
    Dodo

JChung2006 wrote:
    You guys know way too much about Freecell.
    Do you know how to handle a disassembler? Big Smile

• User profile image
    paul8

I am addicted to freecell. One of the first things I did on my new Gateway with Vista is play freecell. It is easier than the old version. However, I prefer the old version. Smiley

Paul Katz
    pkatz@partners.org

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

paul8 wrote:

I am addicted to freecell. One of the first things I did on my new Gateway with Vista is play freecell. It is easier than the old version. However, I prefer the old version.

Paul Katz
    katz@partners.org">pkatz@partners.org

Over
    The

Did you not even check the date? Seriously?

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    frosty1433

I know this is old, but here goes it:

It's actually pretty easy. Download and install a memory editor, I used Quick Memory Editor. Trial works fine.

Start up Quick Memory Editor. Start up Freecell. Then add the Freecell task, to the memory editor's watchlist.

a) If you have lost any games at all, go to file > statistics > reset.

b) Now go to file > select game, and type -3, then beat the game.

c) Type the number of wins in memory editor's search field.

Repeat steps B and C, until you end up with 4 fields in the memory editor. (It should take about 4-5 wins) One field is for wins, one is for loses, one is for longest streak, and the last is for current streak. Which is why it's important to reset your statistics, to properly get all 4 fields. Now just double click each memory field, and set the new number to 99, or whatever you want. Then Repeat step B one more time, to force Freecell to save the values. Now close Freecell and the memory editor, and start Freecell up again. Win a game to verify it worked.

Now you can make it look like you definately have no life other than Freecell. Cool

@eddwo; afaik game #11982 is impossible. But that's the only impossible game you might come across, without selecting a game.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.