Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Whats bad with the Zune list

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    prog_dotnet

I was considering buying a zune device, but you (ms) has really missed the target this time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/09/technology/09pogue.html?8dpc

1. You cant use Zune as an external hard drive
    2. You cant subscribe or download podcasts at the zune store
    3. Stripped down device, no games, alarm clock, stopwatch, world clock, password-protected volume limiter, equalizer, calendar, address book or notes module.
    4. Miss out on the 3,000 iPod accessories
    5. Over 80 percent of 2007 cars will have an iPod connector option, none have zune
    6 . regid copy protection and drm. I dont mind paying for  music, but it has to be flexible. Like half play of a song counts as "one play", not resend a song.
    7 . wi-fi mess, Zunes can connect only to each other. Who’d build a Wi-Fi device that can’t connect to a wireless network — to sync with your PC, for example? Nor to an Internet hot spot, to download music directly?
    8. the zune store doesn’t sell TV shows, movies or audio books
    9. the zune store are much smaller than itunes, 2 mill vs 3-5 mill
    10. the Zune store is also missing gift certificates, allowances, user-submitted playlists and so on
    11. can’t use Windows Media Player to load the Zune with music ?? ( this must be wrong  )
    12. thicker (0.6 inch vs. 0.4), taller (4.4 inches vs. 4.1) and heavier (5.6 ounces vs. 4.8) (zune vs 30 gb ipod)
    13. fm radio has week reception and you cant make recordings.

"

Competition is good and all. But what, exactly, is the point of the Zune? It seems like an awful lot of duplication — in a bigger, heavier form with fewer features — just to indulge Microsoft’s “we want some o’ that” envy. Wireless sharing is the one big new idea — and if the public seems to respond, Apple could always add that to the iPod."

So the question is..why should anyone buy a zune player ??

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Zune is unlikely to gain anymore marketshare than all other iPod competitors. Although I don't have or endorse expensive music players, I do know that the iPod is fabricated in American and European pop culture. That penetration will prove difficult to break. Besides, Apple could very easily rival any offerings Microsoft might add to Zune and Urge.

I think Apple will do whatever it takes to fend off Microsoft and all other competitors. Afterall, the iPod and iTunes are Apple's biggest source of "bread & butter"; far more significant than their computer and software buisness.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    jb43081

prog_dotnet wrote:
    1. You cant use Zune as an external hard drive
    2. You cant subscribe or download podcasts at the zune store
    3. Stripped down device, no games, alarm clock, stopwatch, world clock, password-protected volume limiter, equalizer, calendar, address book or notes module.
    4. Miss out on the 3,000 iPod accessories
    5. Over 80 percent of 2007 cars will have an iPod connector option, none have zune
    6 . regid copy protection and drm. I dont mind paying for  music, but it has to be flexible. Like half play of a song counts as "one play", not resend a song.
    7 . wi-fi mess, Zunes can connect only to each other. Who’d build a Wi-Fi device that can’t connect to a wireless network — to sync with your PC, for example? Nor to an Internet hot spot, to download music directly?
    8. the zune store doesn’t sell TV shows, movies or audio books
    9. the zune store are much smaller than itunes, 2 mill vs 3-5 mill
    10. the Zune store is also missing gift certificates, allowances, user-submitted playlists and so on
    11. can’t use Windows Media Player to load the Zune with music ?? ( this must be wrong  )
    12. thicker (0.6 inch vs. 0.4), taller (4.4 inches vs. 4.1) and heavier (5.6 ounces vs. 4.8) (zune vs 30 gb ipod)
    13. fm radio has week reception and you cant make recordings.

Points 1, 3, 7, 11 and maybe 13 can be handled via firmware updates from Microsoft, which is my understanding they are planning to do. According to Gizmodo (I'm too lazy to find the specific link) they puposly "front-loaded" the hardware so that as they want to add new features all the have to do is update the software, the hardware is already set to go.

Points 2, 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10 are just silly considering it's a version one of a highly upgradeable product, and the iPod faced these same challenges when it came out.

Point 6 is something that can be addressed through software updates if it become an issue that stunts the Zune's growth.

And point 12 is kind of splitting hairs. I use my nano for running, and it's great. Yeah, a Zune is bigger, but I can't imagine it would make a huge difference when I run, let alone something less active.

My big knock agains the Zune, and it may come out in another version of it, is no flash memory. Again, I use my nano for running, so the flash memory is critical to avoid skips.

prog_dotnet wrote:
    Competition is good and all. But what, exactly, is the point of the Zune? It seems like an awful lot of duplication — in a bigger, heavier form with fewer features — just to indulge Microsoft’s “we want some o’ that” envy. Wireless sharing is the one big new idea — and if the public seems to respond, Apple could always add that to the iPod."

What is the point of any competing product? To get some market share. And frankly, new competition breathes life into an otherwise stale market. As much as I love my nano, I do find some of the new Zune features attractive, and yeah, Apple can adopt them. But if there were no Zune, would they? Let's face it, pre-Zune there hasn't been much new and exciting in iPod land, save video and new colors. And until I see something offical from Apple, I don't count the iPhone. So, I think this is good for both companies.

prog_dotnet wrote:
    So the question is..why should anyone buy a zune player ??

If the features offered by Zune that are not available on an iPod are important to someone, they should buy a Zune. It all comes down to the consumer and where they see value.

And don't take everythign you read in the NYT as gospel, they have their axes to grind just like everyone else...

• User profile image
    Jorgie

1. - This really sucks. Hopefully they will change it
    2. - True of V1.0, rumor says it will be in early 2007
    3. - Except for the equalizer, why would I want those things on my music player? BTW, heard of XBox-live? I expect to see lots of downloads for the Zune over the next year. (When will Apple officially open the iPod to 3rd party developers? NEVER.)
    4. - Duh. That is a stupid comment.
    5. - I bet there will be a 3rd party adapter befor Xmas
    6. - Yea, almost as restrictive as the iPod wich cannot share music AT ALL.
    7. - Read their blog, this is just 'at launch'.
    8. - Yet. iTMS didn't at launch either
    9. - Again, so was iTMS at launch.
    10. - Hello, let them get it up and running smoothly before they pile on features.
    11. - Yep, seems stupid to me too.
    12. - The size does not bother me, it is worth it for the bigger screen, WiFi and FM.
    13. - Here is hoping they have FM recording soon! (As for the headphones acting as the antenna, that is normal.) And it is much better at pulling in FM than the iPod Tongue Out

Jorgie

• User profile image
    PaoloM

It is David Pogue, after all...

• User profile image
    Rossj

PaoloM wrote:
    It is David Pogue, after all...

Hmm - what difference does that make? Are the points he made blatant lies? Or is it just the fact that he is giving it bad press that you object to?

• User profile image
    phreaks

Apple controls too much of the Digital Music player market already.

It's going to be tough for competitors to compete without adding alot of innovation and value-added.

hmmm, maybe the DOJ will harp on apple now, that would be something, wouldn't it.

Not that I agree with it, but hey, what's good for the goose...

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Can't remember if the Zune has Bluetooth or not. Bad thing in my book if it doesn't, then I can't sync the Zune with my Tablet via Bluetooth.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Rossj wrote:

PaoloM wrote: It is David Pogue, after all...

Hmm - what difference does that make? Are the points he made blatant lies? Or is it just the fact that he is giving it bad press that you object to?

Some of his points are valid, but others are just misrepresentations.

For example, "5. Over 80 percent of 2007 cars will have an iPod connector option, none have zune". 80% is a nice round number that, however, has very little evidence to be real. Of all this 80%, how many have an iPod connector option and how many will just have a line in jack? Because the ones with a line connector jack are *gasp* "Zune-enabled"! Smiley

That said, I don't like the 3x3 limits on unprotected music transfers. That will have to be fixed ASAP.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Harlequin wrote:
    Can't remember if the Zune has Bluetooth or not. Bad thing in my book if it doesn't, then I can't sync the Zune with my Tablet via Bluetooth.

No bluetooth.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

Did Microsoft learn from their Xbox 360 failures and hire thermal engineers for the Zune?

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

PaoloM wrote:
    For example, "5. Over 80 percent of 2007 cars will have an iPod connector option, none have zune". 80% is a nice round number that, however, has very little evidence to be real. Of all this 80%, how many have an iPod connector option and how many will just have a line in jack? Because the ones with a line connector jack are *gasp* "Zune-enabled"!

That said, I don't like the 3x3 limits on unprotected music transfers. That will have to be fixed ASAP.

I work 20 feet from a bunch of the Siemens engineers and Harman-Becker engineers. They make the radios/in car entertainment systems/touch screen navigation systems. Their mp3 player holders are designed for the various Ipod form factors. Their mp3 docks are designed for that proprietary connector on the ipod. Their hard drive based car stereos are designed to sync music with an ipod.

Today, I asked them if the Zune would would be compatible with their docks. The answer I got from 100% of those I asked was "What is a Zune?"

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Detroit Muscle wrote:
    Today, I asked them if the Zune would would be compatible with their docks. The answer I got from 100% of those I asked was "What is a Zune?"

I don't think Microsoft has been spending much of any money on the Zune right now. Haven't seen a TV commercial yet. Has anyone?

The "viral" websites only work if there are ads to them from everywhere. A link from Channel 9 will only do so much for a product Smiley

• User profile image
    JKelley

Harlequin wrote:

Detroit Muscle wrote: Today, I asked them if the Zune would would be compatible with their docks. The answer I got from 100% of those I asked was "What is a Zune?"

I don't think Microsoft has been spending much of any money on the Zune right now. Haven't seen a TV commercial yet. Has anyone?

The "viral" websites only work if there are ads to them from everywhere. A link from Channel 9 will only do so much for a product

I saw two different TV ads over the weekend for Zune, I think they were both on MTV but I don't remember.  They weren't bad I thought.  In fact, I thought considering our advertising track record they were VERY good.  Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie
  • User profile image
    blowdart

jamie wrote:

You have to love someone that writes a review without having used it, by just rehashing what has been written about in blogs.

• User profile image
    jamie

true but it is forbes ...  and they arnt saying its not too good - they are saying it stinks!

id be worried if it was my product is the reason i posted the link

• User profile image
    blowdart

jamie wrote:
    true but it is forbes ...  and they arnt saying its not too good - they are saying it stinks!

Yea, without actually having seen it.

The NYC review is perhaps fairer.

As it turns out, the player is excellent. It can’t touch the iPod’s looks or coolness, but it’s certainly more practical. It’s coated in slightly rubberized plastic, available in white, black or brown — yes, brown. It won’t turn heads, but it won’t get fingerprinty and scratched, either. It sounds just as good as the iPod.

The big, whomping Zune news, though, is wireless sharing. The Zune has a built-in Wi-Fi antenna. (Turning it on costs you one hour of battery life.)

During the playback of any photo or song, you can view a list of Zunes within 30 feet. Sending a song takes about 15 seconds, a photo 2 seconds; you can’t send videos at all.

It all works well enough, but it’s just so weird that Zunes can connect only to each other. Who’d build a Wi-Fi device that can’t connect to a wireless network — to sync with your PC, for example? Nor to an Internet hot spot, to download music directly?

This copy protection is as strict as a 19th-century schoolmarm. Just playing half the song (or one minute, whichever comes first) counts as one “play.” You can never resend a song to the same friend. A beamed song can’t be passed along to a third person, either.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.