Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

In Windows why can't you create/rename a folder "Con"?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    LaBomba

Try it yourself. Without the quotation marks: Con

Doesn't work, just retains the old name if you are renaming, or it will go to the default New Folder if you creating a new folder.

Apparently no one knows why this is...even Microsoft.

PS. Can somebody try it in Vista? Maybe it's fixed..

• User profile image
    Sven Groot
  • User profile image
    LaBomba

Cool thanks.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Sven Groot wrote:
    as always

• User profile image
    kettch

That reminds me of the old con/con thing in windows 9x. You used to be able to type "con/con" in the run dialog, and it would instantly bluescreen the computer. I don't remember exactly what it caused, but it looked like it somehow caused the filesystem to forcibly dismount or something. When I was a PFY, I used to go into Office Depot/Best Buy/etc and do that to all of the display computers. Ah, good times.

• User profile image
    blowdart

There's an old hacker trick to create directory names that match devices via the MS FTP server that you just owned, then it couldn't be deleted.

• User profile image
    stevo_

kettch wrote:
    That reminds me of the old con/con thing in windows 9x. You used to be able to type "con/con" in the run dialog, and it would instantly bluescreen the computer. I don't remember exactly what it caused, but it looked like it somehow caused the filesystem to forcibly dismount or something. When I was a PFY, I used to go into Office Depot/Best Buy/etc and do that to all of the display computers. Ah, good times.

People used to do that with the MS irc network, at the time MS had a irc client called Comic chat or something. You could actually end actions for con/con etc that would instantly drop over half the room.

• User profile image
    Heywood_J

A few years ago I purchased a program that came with a whole bunch of clip-art.  I wanted to copy everything to my hard-drive but it was a real pain because one of the folders was named "Con".

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.