Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

In Windows why can't you create/rename a folder "Con"?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    LaBomba

Try it yourself. Without the quotation marks: Con

Doesn't work, just retains the old name if you are renaming, or it will go to the default New Folder if you creating a new folder.

Apparently no one knows why this is...even Microsoft.

PS. Can somebody try it in Vista? Maybe it's fixed..

• User profile image
    Sven Groot
  • User profile image
    LaBomba

Cool thanks.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Sven Groot wrote:
    as always

• User profile image
    kettch

That reminds me of the old con/con thing in windows 9x. You used to be able to type "con/con" in the run dialog, and it would instantly bluescreen the computer. I don't remember exactly what it caused, but it looked like it somehow caused the filesystem to forcibly dismount or something. When I was a PFY, I used to go into Office Depot/Best Buy/etc and do that to all of the display computers. Ah, good times.

• User profile image
    blowdart

There's an old hacker trick to create directory names that match devices via the MS FTP server that you just owned, then it couldn't be deleted.

• User profile image
    stevo_

kettch wrote:
    That reminds me of the old con/con thing in windows 9x. You used to be able to type "con/con" in the run dialog, and it would instantly bluescreen the computer. I don't remember exactly what it caused, but it looked like it somehow caused the filesystem to forcibly dismount or something. When I was a PFY, I used to go into Office Depot/Best Buy/etc and do that to all of the display computers. Ah, good times.

People used to do that with the MS irc network, at the time MS had a irc client called Comic chat or something. You could actually end actions for con/con etc that would instantly drop over half the room.

• User profile image
    Heywood_J

A few years ago I purchased a program that came with a whole bunch of clip-art.  I wanted to copy everything to my hard-drive but it was a real pain because one of the folders was named "Con".

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.