Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Stop the Ding!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    mstefan

    One of the most annoying things in Vista is that once you change your system sounds, applications will play the default sound (typically "Windows Ding.wav") every time you select an item in a listview control. Frankly, this was driving me to distraction and so I spent some time digging around and thought I would share here, in case anyone else was annoyed. My apoligies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

    It turns out, it looks there's a bug in the Control Panel applet where you set your sound preferences. Even if you have the "Select" sound set to nothing, it's creating an entry (what is probably a null string) in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect\.Current.

    Because it's not actually a sound file, it reverts to the default sound. And, because the folks at Microsoft apparently want to make this as annoying as possible, if you disable the default sound, then it decides to do you the "favor" of beeping using your system speaker. Everyone on the Vista team should be forced to wear headphones and listen to an endless loop of "Windows Ding.wav" until a fix is published for this. I'm just saying.

    In the meantime, here's a temporary fix in the form of a registry file. Note that you'll need to run this after every time you change your system sounds through the control panel, or the Ding from Hell™ will return:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect\.current]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect\.Default]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect\.Modified]
    @=""

  • User profile image
    Rich2k

    Thank you, thank you, thank you.  It was soooo frustrating using WS_FTP and it ding'ing every time I selected a folder or file!

  • User profile image
    mstefan

    Rich2k wrote:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.  It was soooo frustrating using WS_FTP and it ding'ing every time I selected a folder or file!


    That was one of my motivations for fixing this. I had just upgraded to the latest version of WS_FTP which is now supported on Vista. As soon as you change the default sounds (I can't believe they still use that bizzare sound scheme of train whistles and "uhoh!" noises) this started manifesting itself. The same with some other applications that I use.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    mstefan wrote:
     

    (I can't believe they still use that bizzare sound scheme of train whistles and "uhoh!" noises)


    Is it just me, or did they completely rip that off from ICQ? I was uh-ohing and train whistling with ICQ back in 1997, when nobody even heard of WS_FTP. Or are these public domain sounds, or something?

  • User profile image
    mstefan

    Bas wrote:
    Is it just me, or did they completely rip that off from ICQ? I was uh-ohing and train whistling with ICQ back in 1997, when nobody even heard of WS_FTP. Or are these public domain sounds, or something?


    You're right, it's the same sounds. As to whether they "borrowed" them from ICQ, I can't say. If I had to hazard a guess, developers from both groups probably found them in the public domain.

    I've already sent them feedback asking that they just use the standard Windows sounds available on the platform that they install on. What they're using sounds really harsh, particularly with Vista's mellow sound scheme.

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Bas wrote:
    
    Is it just me, or did they completely rip that off from ICQ? I was uh-ohing and train whistling with ICQ back in 1997, when nobody even heard of WS_FTP. Or are these public domain sounds, or something?


    Unless they've changed them, the uh-oh sound was illegally lifted from PC Lemmings....

  • User profile image
    roniux

    I have the same problem with my Windows Vista Business, I use the lines you show in this site to add to the Windows Registry and all come back to the normality.

     

    Thanks

     

    Para ver esta solución traducida en español: http://www.vivamultimedia.com.gt/Wordpress/?p=34

  • User profile image
    Larry Osterman

    Funny Smiley.  That's actually a bug in the v5 common controls.  If your app is manifested to use the v6 common controls it won't happen.

     

    The problem is that a bug fix made during Windows XP wasn't included in Win2K3.  The Win2K3 code was used to create Windows Vista and when the teams merged the Windows XP bug fixes into Win2K3, they missed this bug fix. 

     

    I found it early in the Win7 timeframe because someone reported that their windows forms app was misbehaving after they'd set the common control select sound to a value then removed the value.

     

    Needless to say, it's fixed in Win7.

     

  • User profile image
    jon_potter

    Larry Osterman said:

    Funny Smiley.  That's actually a bug in the v5 common controls.  If your app is manifested to use the v6 common controls it won't happen.

     

    The problem is that a bug fix made during Windows XP wasn't included in Win2K3.  The Win2K3 code was used to create Windows Vista and when the teams merged the Windows XP bug fixes into Win2K3, they missed this bug fix. 

     

    I found it early in the Win7 timeframe because someone reported that their windows forms app was misbehaving after they'd set the common control select sound to a value then removed the value.

     

    Needless to say, it's fixed in Win7.

     

    "Needless to say" ? Given that Microsoft hardly ever fix bugs like this I'd say it would be more accurate to say "Amazingly, it's fixed in Win7".

     

  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

    jon_potter said:
    Larry Osterman said:
    *snip*

    "Needless to say" ? Given that Microsoft hardly ever fix bugs like this I'd say it would be more accurate to say "Amazingly, it's fixed in Win7".

     

    "Will not fix - Existed previously"

  • User profile image
    Heywood_J

    mstefan said:
    Rich2k wrote:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.  It was soooo frustrating using WS_FTP and it ding'ing every time I selected a folder or file!


    That was one of my motivations for fixing this. I had just upgraded to the latest version of WS_FTP which is now supported on Vista. As soon as you change the default sounds (I can't believe they still use that bizzare sound scheme of train whistles and "uhoh!" noises) this started manifesting itself. The same with some other applications that I use.
    I had just upgraded to the latest version of WS_FTP which is now supported on Vista.

    That's odd. I have version 9 of WS_FTP which was released in 2004 and it runs just fine on Vista and Windows 7.

  • User profile image
    Larry Osterman

    jon_potter said:
    Larry Osterman said:
    *snip*

    "Needless to say" ? Given that Microsoft hardly ever fix bugs like this I'd say it would be more accurate to say "Amazingly, it's fixed in Win7".

     

    That's not true at all.  We actually spend a LOT of time working on F&F bugs like this one, especially when it's annoying.

     

    The tricky part is finding them (seriously).  I was fortunate that someone had a reliable reproduction that I could debug - often it's very hard to figure this stuff out.

     

  • User profile image
    kettch

    Larry Osterman said:
    jon_potter said:
    *snip*

    That's not true at all.  We actually spend a LOT of time working on F&F bugs like this one, especially when it's annoying.

     

    The tricky part is finding them (seriously).  I was fortunate that someone had a reliable reproduction that I could debug - often it's very hard to figure this stuff out.

     

    I think people overestimate how easy it is to reproduce certain bugs. I once had a bug in Visual Studio related to floating tool windows across multiple monitors. DevDiv couldn't repro it at all, and they didn't have any other bug reports. Finally they found somebody on the Windows team who was having the same problem.

     

    There's still a bug related to tool windows that I've been getting in VS2005, 2008, and now 2010, but It seems that there's no reliable way to repro it. It seems that there are a lot of bugs that defy concentrated dubugging and just sit around waiting for an "Aha!" moment. I know I've had that happen in my own code.

     

    BTW: Larry, I really like your blog, and how you describe the way you work through some of these bugs that come across your desk. It's cool to get inside the thought processes involved.

  • User profile image
    kettch

    Larry Osterman said:
    jon_potter said:
    *snip*

    That's not true at all.  We actually spend a LOT of time working on F&F bugs like this one, especially when it's annoying.

     

    The tricky part is finding them (seriously).  I was fortunate that someone had a reliable reproduction that I could debug - often it's very hard to figure this stuff out.

     

    double post

     

    weird it says they were both posted at the same time, but the second one didn't show up for me until much later.

  • User profile image
    GAILMAIL

    Hi--not sure how to apply your solution? What are the steps to do this registry change???

    thanks--sorry, not too technical, I opened regedit and went to key but not sure what to do from there.

     

     

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    GAILMAIL said:

    Hi--not sure how to apply your solution? What are the steps to do this registry change???

    thanks--sorry, not too technical, I opened regedit and went to key but not sure what to do from there.

     

     

    1. On your desktop, create a new text file called "stopTheDing.reg" (make sure you can see file extensions).
    2. Right click it and choose Edit, so you get a blank document open in Notepad.
    3. Copy the bold text below:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect\.current]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect\.Default]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect\.Modified]
    @=""

     

    1. Paste it into the Notepad document so "Windows Registry Edi..." is on the top line
    2. Save the file and close notepad
    3. Double-click the reg file and confirm you want to apply it
    4. Voila

  • User profile image
    CoryD

    kettch said:
    Larry Osterman said:
    *snip*

    I think people overestimate how easy it is to reproduce certain bugs. I once had a bug in Visual Studio related to floating tool windows across multiple monitors. DevDiv couldn't repro it at all, and they didn't have any other bug reports. Finally they found somebody on the Windows team who was having the same problem.

     

    There's still a bug related to tool windows that I've been getting in VS2005, 2008, and now 2010, but It seems that there's no reliable way to repro it. It seems that there are a lot of bugs that defy concentrated dubugging and just sit around waiting for an "Aha!" moment. I know I've had that happen in my own code.

     

    BTW: Larry, I really like your blog, and how you describe the way you work through some of these bugs that come across your desk. It's cool to get inside the thought processes involved.

    I'm having problems with VS2005 for the first time and this is my first time using dual monitors with VS2005, I normally use a wide screen monitor...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.