Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Vista + IE7 = Unable to download

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    anand.t

Looks like IE7 does not allow me to download anything in vista. So what should be changed to allow this behavior. Why are there such stupid features Mad Now I can see why many people hate vista.

Update: Solved

• User profile image
    PaoloM

We did that just to annoy you. As an interesting side effect, 60 other million people are unable to download ANYTHING using Vista, me and pretty much all Microsoft included.

Expressionless

• User profile image
    anand.t

PaoloM wrote:
    We did that just to annoy you. As an interesting side effect, 60 other million people are unable to download ANYTHING using Vista, me and pretty much all Microsoft included.

Oops thats bad. I thought it had something to do with the protected mode or parental controls. Probably got to get opera.

thanks

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

What Paolo means to say is that he's not seeing this problem, neither am I, and that maybe you should elaborate on the symptoms you are seeing.

What happens if you click on a download link? Error messages? What happens if you right-click, save target as?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

PaoloM wrote:

Interesting.

So, Paolo, IE7 wont let me in hotmail on every first login attempt but will let me in on the second.

Is this your doing, as well? You've got some explaining to do...

:O

(This actually happens to me and I'm not sure why)

• User profile image
    anand.t

Sven Groot wrote:
    What Paolo means to say is that he's not seeing this problem, neither am I, and that maybe you should elaborate on the symptoms you are seeing.

What happens if you click on a download link? Error messages? What happens if you right-click, save target as?

Embarassed:$

I click on the link. It gives the run, save, cancel window. If I say run everything is fine but if I say download the window just disappears. When I tried to download using save target as again nothing appears.

Its a new OS installation done by lenovo on Thinkpad if at all it matters.

• User profile image
    anand.t

Did a search and found this

" understand the security objectives of Microsoft's Windows Vista, however, I am having a difficult time deactivating all of the security features that I find so annoying.  I could not even download a file from a reputable site and have it install until I found that setting buried deep in the options and I could not update patches on a new game until the UAC was deactivated. I know for the "general population" of users - not Power Users or Admin types, the features are terrific to keep them out of trouble.  But for those of us who use our computers religiously, there needs to be a way to turn off all of the security flack in one sweep"
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/04/04/protected-mode-for-ie7-in-windows-vista-is-it-on-or-off.aspx#2027185

Probably I will try turning off UAC and see if it works. But that defeats the entire security stuff Sad

• User profile image
    anand.t

A double reboot and a shutdown solved the problem. I wonder what would the problem be:s

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.