Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Valve's Steam and Vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

I've never played a game from Valve before so I don't know how well Steam works on Windows Vista. Does it play nice by Windows' rules? Is the drm system invasive? Does it need to run in the background all the time?
    I saw a couple of screenshots of Team Fortress 2 yesterday and I might be tempted to buy it.

• User profile image
    ironichi

I haven't had any problems with it in Vista. I set it to not run in the system tray, so startup w/Vista and always-on is optional.

Whenever you want to check for game updates/patches/etc. it's simple from the Steam app.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Steam contains no built-in DRM, it's just a distribution system. It's up to the individual games themselves to include whatever copy protection they want, but Steam kind of makes copy-protection pointless since the Game Cache Files are freely distributed (just encrypted).

• User profile image
    Outlaw

I have several Steam games installed, and I've been running Steam and Vista together since Vista launched.  I've had no problems at all, and DirectX-based games (Source engine) actually seemed to improve in performance when I switched from XP to Vista.  Steam isn't Aero-enabled, but it doesn't force the system to switch to Vista Basic's color scheme, either.

The DRM system works well, and it's not too invasive.  You can sign into your account from any computer that has Steam installed, and it will download the necessary files for you to play the games on your account.  You can make CD/DVD backups of the titles you've purchased.  And you only need to run Steam when you want to run a game you've purchased with it, so it doesn't need to be running all the time, like at system startup.  There are no background processes associated with the program when it's not running, as with iTunes.

The latest build of Steam introduced some really nice community features and a great in-game UI, as well.  And the game selection is incredible.  I say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Commander Keen, anyone?

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

The only problem I have is that for my 5.1 headphones they still don't work properly on Steam games. I say steam games, I mean HL2 and Counter-strike etc.

I'd claim it was a driver problem but 5.1 works in everything else so I'm gonna blame Steam for it Big Smile

• User profile image
    TimP

Within the last week, I was prompted to install a special Vista-only Steam service.

The official company story goes something like this... Some games sold on Steam assume the user runs as an administrator and will try to write to Program Files, HKLM registry keys, and such. This Steam service runs as Administrator and will broker requests to do admin tasks, eliminating UAC "annoyances". Steam assures everyone that this service can only provide a limited number of tasks and isn't a cart blanche mechanism for Admin access on your machine. They claim the service starts and stops with Steam (I haven't verified it).

Overall, seems kind of like a dumb idea that breaks the whole concept of UAC, but basically their response is that stuff might start silently failing on Steam if you don't do it, so I installed it, but I'm not happy about it.

Other than this, I've had no problems on Steam except one. I installed the Bioshock demo a few weeks ago and removed it this past week. It's gone from the Steam game list, but for some reason it showed up in the Vista incarnation of Add/Remove programs. When I click remove from that menu, it just launches Steam and doesn't do anything, so I can't figure out how to get these entries off the Add/Remove programs list.

• User profile image
    Koogle

I don't know what its like on Vista but it sure is a the biggest pile of slow steaming piece of memory hogging junk ever built just to play some games! .. you ever tried exiting that infestation it takes just as long as it does starting up the last thing I would do is have that thing starting up at boot with XP.

• User profile image
    andur

I refused to stick in whatever it wanted, and Half Life 2 still works for me. Dunno what they claim steam needs admin privileges for (except maybe for badly written games, but, they should just raise the bar on the software that they allow to be distributed through their service.)

• User profile image
    longzheng

Steam is awesome and runs flawlessly on my Windows Vista. It's so convinient to be able to access my games wherever I am and to be able to chat and join the games my friends are playing in one click.

• User profile image
    dentaku

It's works fine and Steam itself has no DRM. DRM is up to the games themselves.
    Just set it to not run at startup and everything's fine.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Last week I installed Steam and bought the Orange box. Half Life 2 is pretty cool but the loading times on my l33t pc are just to long.

Now it's waiting time until Episode 2 and Portal become available, only 16+ hours. I added w3bbo to my contact list and if anyone wants to add me, search for SpriteXP. Not that I'm a chatty guy Wink

• User profile image
    dentaku

I'm all pre-loaded and ready with 1 gift for HL2 and 1 gift for EP1.
    Someone has already asked me for them.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Quick Question if anyone knows the answer.

I have a steam account, but forgot about it for a while now.
    This thread reminded me that I have some new games to play (If I ever get some free time).

Does anyone know how to look up my steam account name?
    I don't even remember the email address I used and my credit card has since been reissued, so I don't have the original numbers from the credit card either. Sad

• User profile image
    dentaku

phreaks wrote:

This thread reminded me that I have some new games to play (If I ever get some free time).

I don't even remember the email address I used and my credit card has since been reissued, so I don't have the original numbers from the credit card either.

If you don't know the username you used you're stuck unless you can find the e-mail that they sent you after they received your payment. It won't have the password in it but it will at least have the username.

You going to have to install Steam (if you don't already have it) and try guessing your username and password.

• User profile image
    phreaks

dentaku wrote:

phreaks wrote:

I don't even remember the email address I used and my credit card has since been reissued, so I don't have the original numbers from the credit card either.

If you don't know the username you used you're stuck unless you can find the e-mail that they sent you after they received your payment. It won't have the password in it but it will at least have the username.

You going to have to install Steam (if you don't already have it) and try guessing your username and password.

Arrgh! Thanks.

I have all my outlook .pst backups for the last 7 years, so it's just a matter of loading them up one by one, and searching through the 10,000 received emails in each backup until I find that one.

Someone should write a utility to search archived PST files!

• User profile image
    intelman

Steam seems to work alright in Vista, though I've had problems with Call of Duty 2 steam edition. I think you have to make sure to update your direct x 9, since it installed with Vista by default.

Question, when you guys backup your steam games, does it not create the backup exe, I only get non executable files.

• User profile image
    dentaku

intelman wrote:
    Question, when you guys backup your steam games, does it not create the backup exe, I only get non executable files.

I've only done it with HL2 and EP1 but yes, it made a huge .EXE file that I just burned to a DVD along with the savegame folder because that doesn't get backed up.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

My only thing is that the last time I checked, it wasn't a 64 bit app, so I was hesitant.  Of course, it should just work even if it is 32 bit.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.