Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

remove RTF copy infomation?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Koogle

is there a way to disable windows from copying rich text... I hate it when you copy a bit of text from somewhere.. and then try paste it in microsoft word or any other similar app etc.. it and always tries to get the font/size/color and all that rubbish.

....so anything like a registry key or a quick fix that can applied that doens't let the windows copy function store the "RTF" nonsense anymore?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Paste Special / unformatted text.

I wish it could be mapped to a shortcut...

• User profile image
    Koogle

yes ctrl +alt +v is normally 'Paste Special'.. and then you have a dialog to go through..  where I then select Unformatted text.

I just want ctrl+v to automactically paste  the "special" unformated text..all the time.. is it that hard to achieve?? without having some extra utility running to do such a thing

• User profile image
    PaoloM

I never found how to do it. Remember to post it here if you find a way (I'll do the same)

• User profile image
    zian

If you don't want to run a utility program, then for Office, you can write a macro and map it to a convenient keyboard shortcut.

I've written a utility program that handles the general case but I won't spam C9 with it since I"m sure there are dozens of programs that accomplish the same thing.

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

PaoloM wrote:
    I never found how to do it. Remember to post it here if you find a way (I'll do the same)

Your talking specifically about Word, right ?

In Word 2000 (yes, I know...) you just Customisze the Keyboard. Tools, Customize, Keyboard button (at bottom of dialog), then select the "command" eg EditPaste. It shows the "Current Keys", so you can delete "Ctrl+V" from it, then select EditPasteSpecial, select the "new shortcut key" text field, press the key combo (Ctrl+V), then hit the Assign button. Done... Smiley

As for the OP, I'm not aware of any "Global setting" for Windows which limits what is put onto the clipboard. Each application is free to place what it likes there (within reason), and each application is free to cherry pick from what's on the clipboard when you paste. I mean, Windows Explorer "uses the clipboard"... :O

• User profile image
    Koogle

RichardRudek wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

Your talking specifically about Word, right ?

In Word 2000 (yes, I know...) you just Customisze the Keyboard. Tools, Customize, Keyboard button (at bottom of dialog), then select the "command" eg EditPaste. It shows the "Current Keys", so you can delete "Ctrl+V" from it, then select EditPasteSpecial, select the "new shortcut key" text field, press the key combo (Ctrl+V), then hit the Assign button. Done...

As for the OP, I'm not aware of any "Global setting" for Windows which limits what is put onto the clipboard. Each application is free to place what it likes there (within reason), and each application is free to cherry pick from what's on the clipboard when you paste. I mean, Windows Explorer "uses the clipboard"...

you know, it really is quite simple what I am after. I'm just gobsmacked that it doesn't seem possible to just limit windows to only copy unformatted "Text" and if it RTF, then unformat it, so that no other application picks up the RTF when i use paste/ctrl+v. I don't want to have to use any other special hotkey/dialog/utility at all. Really should there not just be an option to choose such a thing globally Perplexed

I can only imagine the number of novice Windows/Office users who have to manualy unformat, formatted text after using it 'Paste' Cool

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

Koogle wrote:
    you know, it really is quite simple what I am after. I'm just gobsmacked that it doesn't seem possible to just limit windows to only copy unformatted "Text" and if it RTF, then unformat it, so that no other application picks up the RTF when i use paste/ctrl+v. I don't want to have to use any other special hotkey/dialog/utility at all. Really should there not just be an option to choose such a thing globally

I can only imagine the number of novice Windows/Office users who have to manualy unformat, formatted text after using it 'Paste'

Yeah, and I'd like my neighbours, and anybody else that is anywhere near me, not to smoke. It's such a simple thing, really. Yet I have such little control... Expressionless

Anyway, you may be able to find/write a tool that monitors the Clipboard, and on a per application basis, "hide" various formats. I assume you've tried looking. eg those Multiple Clipboard thingys, etc.

Having said that, with all the security stuff going on, I suspect that an add-on tool such as that would stop working at some point. So, yeah, I don't know...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.