Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Web development music?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manabi

What kind of music would be good for developing web applications to? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Manabi wrote:
    What kind of music would be good for developing web applications to?

I like to develop (when I do) to rock music. Something Good-charlotte style, with a good rythm. Or Dance music, I'm a big fan Big Smile

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Dodo

Manabi wrote:
    What kind of music would be good for developing web applications to?
    So how's that meant?
    Do you want to embed music, do you want to listen to music while coding or do you want to code something based on what the music is like?

If it's music to listen to, I'd recommend something which lets you forget about the time Big Smile This way you'd get more work done.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Dance and house. Or better none, if you really need to focus (which is often lately). Dance and house have always the same melody - no variations - simple music - that's why it isn't distracting for me.

• User profile image
    webmonkey

Apparently my managers seem to think the sound of drumming in the next room, the bass from parties outside and the repetition of video editing mixed in with the drone of air con units & a dash of loud meetings 5 meters away would make us work better.

Occasionally they try to really help us out by bringing a group of people to tour our office.

Mad

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

webmonkey wrote:
    Apparently my managers seem to think the sound of drumming in the next room, the bass from parties outside and the repetition of video editing mixed in with the drone of air con units & a dash of loud meetings 5 meters away would make us work better.

Occasionally they try to really help us out by bringing a group of people to tour our office.

Sounds a bit like my IT "lab" (its not worthy of the name)which is situated right next to the music rooms Big Smile

As for tours... too many people think it's apt to walk in at the most annoying moments.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    JChung2006

Silence is golden.  The only time I listen to music while working is when the work environment is too noisy otherwise.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I actually find I work better with music in the background. I will listen to anything, rock, metal, blues, jazz, pop, whatever, though I find that if I really need to concentrate, classical works best.

• User profile image
    tehDaneh

I always enjoy developing to the WOXY.com radio station or any quiet indie music. It really helps you relax and get in the zone.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

littleguru wrote:
    Dance and house. Or better none, if you really need to focus (which is often lately). Dance and house have always the same melody - no variations - simple music - that's why it isn't distracting for me.
    Yeah I agree. Dance and house don’t distract, I sometimes also listen to Gregorian chants either mixed in with dance music or on its own.

• User profile image
    cornelius

Cyonix wrote:

littleguru wrote:
    Yeah I agree. Dance and house don’t distract, I sometimes also listen to Gregorian chants either mixed in with dance music or on its own.

yep tuned into di.fm ,most of the time, i like to start of with chill out channel in the mornings i dunno sort of inspirational at times

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

im not a web developer so I cant really comment on web development,

but I listen to some kind of classical music on the ipod when im developing

• User profile image
    esoteric
  • User profile image
    Erisan
  • User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Sven Groot wrote:
    I actually find I work better with music in the background.

Same here.  In fact, I find if I don't listen to music while working, my brain starts playing music in my head for me, which I find takes extra cycles, so I'm much more productive if something else is playing the music for me.

I like to rock and electronic (any variation).  Lately it's been Korn, 311, Sevendust and a few others (for rock) and Chemical Brothers, BT and Crystal Method (for electronic).

• User profile image
    Rossj

Anything repetitive for me, I don't actively listen to it, but I find it puts me in the zone quite easily.  I find it much harder nowadays without music, especially in an open plan office where it takes someone 10 seconds to disturb me and then another 10 minutes to get back into the zone - I blame old age.

• User profile image
    Mark Brown

Chemical Brothers for me. Good driving bass line, kicking drums, gotta love it Smiley

Edit: Also some primus as well, but not all of it.

• User profile image
    Bas

I know this is weird, but I find that when writing, playing the end credits music for Moulin Rouge! somehow speeds me up. The song lasts about 8 minutes, and while part of it keeps repeating over and over the overall song changes constantly. It only lasts 8 minutes, but I often find that in those eight minutes I'll have gotten along much farther than when I'm not playing the song. It sort of shuts off my brain and puts me in the zone instantly.

I should look for more music like this, except I have no idea in what genre I should look. It's a bolero and has no lyrics, maybe those are the key ingredients.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.