Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Vista: The fightback begins.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

Ed Bott reports on the first signs of the Microsoft fightback.

Early days, but I'm glad that they didn't try for a direct assault on Apple; that's precisely what Cupertino is looking for.

• User profile image
    CKurt

NICE !

They have every right to do this , they are right !

• User profile image
    Bas

Not as strong as Apple's "Vista sucks", but following that road would only lead Microsoft to disaster. I think this is the best way: acknowledging the popular opinion, and then pointing out where we are today. I also like this:

Windows website said:

When Windows Vista debuted in January 2007, we declared it the best operating system we had ever made. “Windows Vista is beautiful,” The New York Times raved. It’s humbling that millions of you agree.

But we know a few of you were disappointed by your early encounter. Printers didn’t work. Games felt sluggish. You told us—loudly at times—that the latest Windows wasn’t always living up to your high expectations for a Microsoft product.

We know that’s what some people are saying on the Internet. And in its early days, Windows Vista did experience some compatibility problems. But thanks to our industry partners’ efforts during the past 18 months, here’s where things stand today.

I think that's a good idea. Again, not just shutting your ears to popular opinion and going "Look, 180 million licenses sold. We have flip3d and it's more secure", but acknowledging what people are saying and pointing out where they're wrong.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Cool graphics! Smiley Awesome... let's hope marketing really kicks in this time.

• User profile image
    SaraJoRedux

littleguru said:
    Cool graphics! Smiley Awesome... let's hope marketing really kicks in this time.

I can't wait to be watching my television and yelling "BOOYA"

it's the little things in life.

• User profile image
    androidi

"Vista is now actually better than its reputation."

Even though I think it's alright, its reputation is pretty lousy (but improving I've noticed). So being better than that isn't saying much.

What still annoys me to no end is Vista file explorer has a random column/view type behaviour that seems to be either extremely easy or hard to repro. (Easy here) It's a regression in Vista due to changes they made and I suppose it'd be trivial to fix with a source on hand but yeah that argument will go nowhere.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

SaraJoRedux said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*

I can't wait to be watching my television and yelling "BOOYA"

it's the little things in life.

SaraJoRedux said:
    I can't wait to be watching my television and yelling "BOOYA"

To actually see a Vista ad on tv would be something...

Can't wait for more of this new marketing.

• User profile image
    androidi

mVPstar said:
    SaraJoRedux said:
    *snip*

To actually see a Vista ad on tv would be something...

Can't wait for more of this new marketing.

Speaking of marketing what marketing blurb this year has you waiting in anticipation of some product? I would say the Omnisphere namm videos on youtube and the company site. The marketing guy (& ceo) literally hypnotizes you with his eyes and the sounds are quite magical at times too so the product might be good too. No kidding I watched that marketing blurb maybe 10 times in a row and then come back to it. Can't wait for september..

• User profile image
    stevo_

androidi said:

Even though I think it's alright, its reputation is pretty lousy (but improving I've noticed). So being better than that isn't saying much.

What still annoys me to no end is Vista file explorer has a random column/view type behaviour that seems to be either extremely easy or hard to repro. (Easy here) It's a regression in Vista due to changes they made and I suppose it'd be trivial to fix with a source on hand but yeah that argument will go nowhere.
    Vista was always better than its rep.. I really could spend a lot of time trying to work out why it got hammered so fast as to be a failure.. I put it down to the fact that when people talk about Vista, they aren't actually thinking about Vista.. their thinking about all the bad press... all those little problems (dunno; imagine someone posting that their rechargable keyboard batteries ran out the day they installed vista... coincidence?!).. and the crap about it being a failure before anyone saw it, just because its was the OS that was made to cover a failure..

It was doomed to be a marketing failure years before it even saw the light of day.. quite a shame really.

• User profile image
    SaraJoRedux

stevo_ said:
    androidi said:
    *snip*
    Vista was always better than its rep.. I really could spend a lot of time trying to work out why it got hammered so fast as to be a failure.. I put it down to the fact that when people talk about Vista, they aren't actually thinking about Vista.. their thinking about all the bad press... all those little problems (dunno; imagine someone posting that their rechargable keyboard batteries ran out the day they installed vista... coincidence?!).. and the crap about it being a failure before anyone saw it, just because its was the OS that was made to cover a failure..

It was doomed to be a marketing failure years before it even saw the light of day.. quite a shame really.
    I agree 100%, I love vista.... bit of a learning curve but that's it.

People are predisposed to dislike anything Microsoft

• User profile image
    Dovella

littleguru said:
    Things have changed

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Dovella said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    Things have changed

Champagne! Smiley

• User profile image
    Dovella

mVPstar said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

Champagne! Smiley
    I wanted a strong message , and my friend Rocco leaves well understand the situation Wink
    with a spot done so, the mac user remain upset Big Smile

• User profile image
    BHpaddock

androidi said:

Androidi - That was fixed in SP1.  If you have a repro on a clean install of SP1, well, that's something we've been unable to duplicate in-house.  It was hard enough to get it to happen on Vista RTM, and the finding the fix was far from trivial.

• User profile image
    Bass

It's refreshing that Microsoft is finally admitting failure on Vista. That takes a bit of courage I think.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

Arrrrr, prepare to be boarded by Flip3d(tm) and wizards galore!

• User profile image
    Bas

Bass said:
    It's refreshing that Microsoft is finally admitting failure on Vista. That takes a bit of courage I think.
    I think you may want to read that article again.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

JoshRoss said:
    Arrrrr, prepare to be boarded by Flip3d(tm) and wizards galore!
    Beware!!! There be Apples of the port bow,...

YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrr

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.